Kendall Gt1 5w20 full synthetic vs liqui moly 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think is better oil , for my Ford fusion energi 2013.

Kendall GT1 5w20 full synthetic or Liquid Moly 5w20 full synthetic ?
[img:center]
2z3vx5h.jpg
[/img]

[img:center]
34nmiv9.jpg
[/img]

Kendall, because they use Titanium (and lots of it, like around 100 ppm!), along with moly too for lower friction and to fight wear.
Great choice of Ford Fusion Energi. Excellent drivetrain with its planetary gearset dual-electric-motor design.
Use a Fram Ultra oil filter because it has no paper cellulose filter media inside, only long lasting glass fiber, and a silicone ADBV. Plug-ins can leave their oil and filter in a long time, so might as well use the best and be more certain it can last.

Here is what the latest new bottle looks like:
Kendall_quart_GT-1_Max__02328.1470419719.1280.1280.png

Last edited:
Here is what the latest new bottle looks like:
Kendall_quart_GT-1_Max__02328.1470419719.1280.1280.png
[/quote]

I only found the old bottle , is there any difference ?

Thank you , this was helpful
smile.gif
Kendall to go , but one last question ,we don't have farm oil filters here
frown.gif
, can I use Motorcraft oil filter or K&N ps-1002 , which better ?

Motorcraft oil filters are actually good.
Not K&N, as they are generally of average-to-poor quality/performance.
My second choice in oil filter if you cannot get a Fram Ultra oil filter, would be a Royal Purple oil filter or Amsoil EaO filter. Maybe a Mobil1 oil filter too. This is all based on 4548-12 testing performance and the material each filter uses as the filtering media.

Originally Posted By: Fadi
What do you think is better oil , for my Ford fusion energi 2013.

Kendall GT1 5w20 full synthetic or Liquid Moly 5w20 full synthetic ?

My vote for your Fusion would be the Kendall by a long shot. Such a great oil at a great price. And as for your filters, nothing at all wrong with Motorcraft filters (they're made by Purolater, or they used to be). Also, no there isn't any difference in the Kendall oil in the new bottles,...the bottle is the only thing that's different.

Originally Posted By: NHRATA
Why are Kendall oils with liquid titanium not dexos approved

I still have two cases of the GT-1 Fulll Synthetic wating to be used. I contacted Kendall to see if it, even though it didn't have the Dexos approval on the bottle, would it meet the Dexos requirements. They sent me a clip from a Kendall executive covering this very topic. He said that the GT-1 5W30 full synthetic would meet the Dexos requirements. I'm going to use it up in the Sierra.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sierra048
Originally Posted By: NHRATA

I still have two cases of the GT-1 Fulll Synthetic wating to be used. I contacted Kendall to see if it, even though it didn't have the Dexos approval on the bottle, would it meet the Dexos requirements. They sent me a clip from a Kendall executive covering this very topic. He said that the GT-1 5W30 full synthetic would meet the Dexos requirements. I'm going to use it up in the Sierra.

The Kendall exec was guessing of course. I'd say it probably would indeed meet dexos1, but not sure unless all the dexos1 tests were actually performed.

What I think happened is that they originally froze the current Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic formula back in 2010 right before the dexos1 spec came out, and they never wanted to spend the money for the extra tests-----A business strategy to just market a separate dexos1 oil was then put in place, as they thought consumers would view "dexos1" as "GM-only" anyway, so why not have a separate product just for those people? This was easy to do since Kendall simply bought a pre-certified dexos1-specific additive package from Afton or Lubrizol, or maybe Oronite and blended with their standard class base oils to get the final product, already dexos1 approved and ready-to-go, but without the titanium Kendall had in their own custom brand product.

If you don't use a dexos1 officially approved oil in a post-2010 GM vehicle, then your warranty coverage for engine damage might be in trouble. Some risk.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: Sierra048
NHRATA said:

The Kendall exec was guessing of course. I'd say it probably would indeed meet dexos1, but not sure unless all the dexos1 tests were actually performed.

What I think happened is that they originally froze the current Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic formula back in 2010 right before the dexos1 spec came out, and they never wanted to spend the money for the extra tests-----A business strategy to just market a separate dexos1 oil was then put in place, as they thought consumers would view "dexos1" as "GM-only" anyway, so why not have a separate product just for those people? This was easy to do since Kendall simply bought a pre-certified dexos1-specific additive package from Afton or Lubrizol, or maybe Oronite and blended with their standard class base oils to get the final product, already dexos1 approved and ready-to-go, but without the titanium Kendall had in their own custom brand product.

If you don't use a dexos1 officially approved oil in a post-2010 GM vehicle, then your warranty coverage for engine damage might be in trouble. Some risk.

Thanks for your response. I do understand the risks. He might have been guessing but since he put it writing for all to see along with the liability to go along with, I'm going for it. I only do 5k OCI's anyway so I'm not overly concerned about any damage. I would also refer you to TiredTrucker who has a Dexos1 required vehicle that only uses 10W30 (none are Dexos1 approved that I know of) in it with no problems and he's been doing this since it was new. TiredTrucker, please correct me if I'm wrong. Again, not arguing with you and I understand what your saying. If anything does go wrong because of my decision, It will be a lesson learned and a study in what not to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back