Are uneven or wavy pleats that big of a deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Zee
Filter media on the move can disrupt / displace something that's stuck to it prior.

If you could live inside an oil filter, I'm sure you'd see the media moving/flexing a little bit all the time due to normal pressure pulses going on from the PD oil pump, and the changing delta-p across the media. So that means all are susceptible to this, if it actually happens.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Assuming no tears or separations, wouldn't uneven or wavy pleats still filter basically just as well?

Only a UOA would tell you anything the rest is all conjecture.

If the media is just wavy, the only "harm" is on the BITOG OCD minds.

I've personally seen wavy WIX, Fram and ACDelco filters. I run all 3 issue free.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I would say yes they would, however, IMHO, it also points towards lack of overall quality and/or design. Case in point are the MC filters for my PSD. They are very long and the media is wavy to say the least. I think there could be a higher risk of torn media on a long filter where the media is not properly supported (pointing towards design). Most of the WIX and Baldwin filters (certainly all of the CarQuest Blues that I have) all use wire backed media. To me this is a better design or higher quality for the application. YMMV!

+1 Wavy and crooked pleats are a sign of poor quality or a design defect. They filter until the media ruptures. Then the filter operates in bypass depending upon the area of the rupture. In my view this is a filter failure and the filter did not perform as advertised. The wavy or crooked pleats is also a sign that under slightly more stress, the likelihood of a media rupture is higher.

Well-stated
thumbsup2.gif

Think one would need to take a look at a great deal of them in this state to take a stab at causal factors … like overall structural integrity, was the media overly solids laden, and could the residual differential produce compressional load right before the PRV opens. Enough cyclic stresses would factor in …

If it bothers anyone enough … get a Fram Ultra or even one of the premium blended that have thicker media …

It's a big deal yes. When my dollars are going to the company, I want straight pleats.

But -- since I don't buy paper filters no more, I don't worry about it.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
If the media is just wavy, the only "harm" is on the BITOG OCD minds....

+1 completely agree.

Even the much lauded Mahle made Austria filter spin on (linked) can exhibit some wave to the pleating. No harm though, just aesthetics. And occasionally severe pleat wave can be indication of an issue like coolant intrusion, seen it before here with a GM and LIM gasket issues.

I 'suspect' that in some cases the more moisture/condensation cycles without reaching operation temp for awhile like frequent short tripped oci/fci can be a factor in pleat wave.

Mahle OC47 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back