Blown engine ruins catalytic converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think there could be fuel or ignition system issues if the car runs and drives great? And it gets great fuel mileage. I got 40.3 mpg driving to work yesterday according to my obd2 scanner.

Last edited:
It's something that's a good idea to check for - if the car runs fine and no codes are logged/fuel trims are around normal, the cat will live a normal life once it's replaced. Just the circumstances surrounding why the cat needs to be replaced seems odd to me.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Gallon of mineral spirits in a full tank of gas. Code won't come back for a long time.
Did you find this on the internet or have personal experience to confirm this?

Personal experience.

This morning I swapped the primary o2 sensor with my 2010 (I know this one is good) and after 36 miles the light came back on. So the o2 sensors should be good.

I have a friend who might have a spare catalytic converter. Otherwise there are used cats online for around $150 shipped. That seems like the best route. Aftermarket is usually junk.

Originally Posted By: circuitsmith
Beware of anyone selling used cats, as that's against federal law.
They might be shady.

Yeah, it is from a pretty good size salvage yard. Not going to say where, at least at this time. They have the cat labeled as an exhaust manifold as the cat is integrated into it. Not my problem if they get in trouble.

Last night I put the cat from my 2010 into this car and drove it 50+ miles without the light coming on. So I know for sure the cat is the issue and not the o2 sensors.

Do you know the the previous owner took good care of his car before destroying the engine? Sometimes cats get destroyed because people will not replace spark plugs when they are supposed to, and sometimes when someone neglects oil changes, oil consumption goes up, and both of those situations are bad for cats. Other times, the cat fails first, bits of the cat get sucked back in the engine, destroy piston rings and cylinder bores, causing a downward cycle. This was common on the Nissan Altima 2.5L.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back