1996 F150 302 starter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1996 F150 with an automatic transmission and a 302 engine. It failed to start today for the first time since I bought it over a year ago.
I heard a clicking/clunking sound when I turned the key and the interior lights dimmed. The radio also lost power. It had started fine earlier in the day.
After sitting for about 5 minutes it fired right up. The starter cranked the engine rapidly like it normally does.
I don't see any corrosion on the battery terminals or the fender mounted relay. The battery age is unknown.
At this point it will start just fine, but I don't want to be away from the house (it did this sitting under the carport) and leave me stranded.
From the symptoms I described is it likely to be the starter/starter solenoid going bad?
What should I check at this point? All the wire connections appear clean and tight.
Thanks,
Terry

Could be a weak cell in the battery. Next time it does it jump the fender mounted solenoid with a screwdriver, and see if it cranks.

Thanks BigD1
It occurred to me after I posted that I own a refractometer and could check the individual cells, so I did. They all tested slightly above 1.250 specific gravity, in the "good" range. I also removed the cables and cleaned them. I will carry some tools for roadside repair until I get this resolved.
Terry

Shorting the fender relay (it's a relay, not a solenoid) will not tell you if it's the battery or starter. It will tell you if the relay is bad or if the ignition switch is bad.
If all the connections are good, and the battery load tests good, then I would suspect the relay or starter.

You need to check all the high current wiring and connections. You may need to look at lugs where the wiring enters the lug.

You may have a bad starter also. Starts fine at some rotation and not so good on another rotation.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
You have a bad connection at the battery since the radio died at the same time.

Or a bad connection where the ground attaches to the engine. Radio being related, probably but maybe coincidence? Myself with my Fords, I ran a welding cable from the engine ground to one of the starter mounting bolts. Corrosion often builds up between the aluminum bell housing and the steel starter.If the starter acts up again after cleaning the connections, try tapping the starter with broom handle or something else.

Last edited:
302 is famous for bad ground. One lug on the side of the block above the cross-member and behind the motor mount where you can not get a decent wrench on it no matter how you try... Enhance the ground side by adding a #4 cable with crimped and soldered lugs between the bat (-) and the alternator mounting bolts. It will clear up the bad ground, and it will supply a better reference so the built-in regulator will charge the battery correctly.

For icing on the cake, add a #8 stranded cable with soldered and crimped lugs between the bat (-) and the radiator support (that 6mm bolt hole right in front of the battery), and one from there to a pass side hood hinge bolt. That will brighten the lights and provide a solid reference for the ECU and the dash so all the instruments will work better, and the motor will start and idle much better
smile.gif

You may still need a starter motor, but try these first...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back