Made in China!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Chinese are notorious copy cats (as well as patent ignorers). I try to avoid Chinese made products for this reason (although it's hard to do).
They really haven't invented anything since gunpowder.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Year ago I've said I'll never buy Chinese vehicle. Now I'm not sure. They move fast.

You've got no Harbor Freight stores there, but if you've ever purchased one of their Chinese-made generators and then tried to get replacement parts for it, you might have a different attitude.

They have copied a lot of products, whole vehicles, parts of course, patents infringed, etc.

You can buy a full Chinese made vehicle right now at your friggin' Buick dealership: Buick Envision ----- “Today’s announcement by General Motors that they are importing the Envision from China is a slap in the face to U.S. taxpayers and the men and women who worked so hard to save GM during its darkest time,” UAW President Dennis Williams and Vice President Cindy Estrada, who head the GM department for the union, said in a joint statement on December 4, 2015.

from the factory in China: SAIC GM Dong Yue; Foundry, Yantai, Shandong comes the Envision.... Interestingly, the upcoming sister GM vehicles built on the same platform (Equinox, Terrain) and these two vehicles are made all over the place: Canada and Mexico both! So that same basic vehicle is coming from 3 countries...

I just watched the video. I see the Chinese are ignorant about Human Factors (ergonomics), as they put a bunch of buttons right in a row near the shifter. That is a major mistake that all other car makers know about. You always put buttons in separate places because human fingers can hit the wrong one if they are close together like that, especially while driving. Human Factors 101 -- flunked!

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: chrisri
Year ago I've said I'll never buy Chinese vehicle. Now I'm not sure. They move fast.

You've got no Harbor Freight stores there, but if you've ever purchased one of their Chinese-made generators and then tried to get replacement parts for it, you might have a different attitude.

Naah...check eBay.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
They have copied a lot of products, whole vehicles, parts of course, patents infringed, etc.

You can buy a full Chinese made vehicle right now at your friggin' Buick dealership: Buick Envision ----- “Today’s announcement by General Motors that they are importing the Envision from China is a slap in the face to U.S. taxpayers and the men and women who worked so hard to save GM during its darkest time,” UAW President Dennis Williams and Vice President Cindy Estrada, who head the GM department for the union, said in a joint statement on December 4, 2015.

from the factory in China: SAIC GM Dong Yue; Foundry, Yantai, Shandong comes the Envision.... Interestingly, the upcoming sister GM vehicles built on the same platform (Equinox, Terrain) and these two vehicles are made all over the place: Canada and Mexico both! So that same basic vehicle is coming from 3 countries...

China is pretty aggressive about their car manufacturing. They have high tariffs on imports which encourages companies to build plants in their country. Then they require anyone building a plant to partner with a Chinese company so they're learning about the industry so they can jump start their own.

That Land Rover clone is weird and here is why. Wealthy Chinese people are very in tune with what is considered high end because the notion of prestige is big in their culture.

In other words, these clones are not going to be bought by wealthy Chinese because they'll just go buy the real deal.

So I can't imagine which market that clone suv is for because it certainly isn't going to be cheap to purchase.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
That Land Rover clone is weird and here is why. Wealthy Chinese people are very in tune with what is considered high end because the notion of prestige is big in their culture. In other words, these clones are not going to be bought by wealthy Chinese because they'll just go buy the real deal. So I can't imagine which market that clone suv is for because it certainly isn't going to be cheap to purchase.
There must be the "near-rich" in China. I know we always hear these 3rd world countries don't have a middle class, like Mexico is famous for lacking, yet there must be a market in China for people who can't quite pony up for a real Land Rover Evoque but are willing to drive a clone because its the best they can get.

I do see your point about 'prestige' in a culture. A lot of people I know here in the States won't buy or drive anything less than a BMW-level car, and they will buy a used one if they can't afford a new one!

The Chinese Wey marketing slogan: "The Wey? No wey!..... Wey!!!!"

Last edited:
There will be mass market Chinese made cars on American roads in less than 10 years. Probably closer to 5.

YEP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!!!!

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
That Land Rover clone is weird and here is why. Wealthy Chinese people are very in tune with what is considered high end because the notion of prestige is big in their culture. In other words, these clones are not going to be bought by wealthy Chinese because they'll just go buy the real deal. So I can't imagine which market that clone suv is for because it certainly isn't going to be cheap to purchase.
There must be the "near-rich" in China. I know we always hear these 3rd world countries don't have a middle class, like Mexico is famous for lacking, yet there must be a market in China for people who can't quite pony up for a real Land Rover Evoque but are willing to drive a clone because its the best they can get.

I do see your point about 'prestige' in a culture. A lot of people I know here in the States won't buy or drive anything less than a BMW-level car, and they will buy a used one if they can't afford a new one!

The Chinese Wey marketing slogan: "The Wey? No wey!..... Wey!!!!"

Chinese nationals bought my not cheap house in Southern California for CASH. So-Yeah there are very rich Chinese.

Originally Posted By: pbm
The Chinese are notorious copy cats (as well as patent ignorers).
They really haven't invented anything since gunpowder.

The same was said about Japan some decades ago. They haven't invented much, but can sure turn some other's idea into their own...such as the Wankel engine.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
The Chinese are hard at work. They might catch up to S. Korea in a decade.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^

+100%

I just hoping I'm around to see all the lamenting on BITOG when it happens!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back