Filters ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would I be correct in saying , with a frequent OCI , a " super duper " oil filter is not required , compared to a " standard " filter ?

We have a 2015 Chevy Sonic . It uses the cartridge filter . I have been using Purilator & AC Delco filters . Running Mobil 1 & Mobil Super Synthetic Dexos 5W-30 .

I change oil & filter at about 50% and about 5% on the Oil Life Indicator .

Thanks ,
Wyr
God bless

There doing 2 oci's on the oil light. Whats the full milage the oil light is set up for? You could probaly do the cheapest canister you can find if your doing 3-4k changes. Use a supertech if they make one.

I think he's running the OLM down to 50%, changing without a reset, then again at 5% with a reset on the OLM.

Personally, I like ACDelco filters. They're relatively inexpensive, and I can still find non-ecores for the Buick. I think the only benefit you might be able to find with some of the more expensive filters is an improvement on the effiency of the media.

"Super duper"?

Call me old fashioned, but if you're going "Super duper" Mobil 1, splurge for a "Super duper" filter...and leave them in there in your Sonic for the recommended interval.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Noey
"Super duper"?

Call me old fashioned, but if you're going "Super duper" Mobil 1, splurge for a "Super duper" filter...and leave them in there in your Sonic for the recommended interval.

We'd probably only call you old fashioned if a phrase like "super duper" was natural and familiar to you.

Since it evidently isn't, we'd probably call you trendy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Noey
"Super duper"?

+1. You are wasting good oil draining it that early. What is the actual mileage that you are changing the oil and filter at?

I agree with the above-if you're using M1/Super Syn, why not use an AC Delco (especially if the superior Hengst is available) & go the full OLM? Then see how everything looks, maybe even spring for a UOA. I bet you'll see good results!

Got a bunch of the Hengst cartridge filters from eBay ... at 6k my OLM was at 18%, M1 EP was down to $25/jug, and the weather was good.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Would I be correct in saying , with a frequent OCI , a " super duper " oil filter is not required , compared to a " standard " filter ?

You'd be fine using the cheapest possible oil filter, maybe paying $8 for something for your Sonic cartridge. If you are a picky person, like many of us, you won't mind paying a dollar or two more for an oil filter that removes smaller dirt particles, like the 99% 20 micron performance of the TG10246, cheap at Walmart, not much more expensive than the $8 alternatives that don't filter as well. It is easy to get better performance, so why not just do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back