Anti-seize in blind hole at high temps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you guys have done this? I have a car with a maniverter setup, the catalytic converter is the exhaust manifold and it's attached to the engine using two nuts and two bolts. The two bolts that thread through the cat and engine, tap into the engine as blind holes.

Now these get really hot, hot enough that I can smell anti-seize burning even though it's rated for 1000+ degrees F.

I'm wondering whether I made the right choice applying anti-seize to the bolts that went into the blind holes. If the anti-seize is burning is it expanding gases that can't find their way out of the threads and will end up popping something? I keep hearing about grease hydrolocking threads off of bolts, if it's burning the gas could compress I guess, but where does it go? And is it going to fatigue something? Sorry I'm really stupid about these things. I don't know what the industry practice is for AS on a blind hole at high temp.

Would it go past the exhaust manifold gasket instead since that's right between the two pieces the bolts are clamping together? The bolts did have a little thread corrosion so maybe they're not air tight when threaded down at a microscopic level and offgassing can still makes it way out if corrosion can make its way in?

For blind holes, I just make sure the bolt is not dripping( So you don't hydrolock and not get the the bolt as deep as it should be). I apply some and wipe it clean, there will be enough on the threads.

Melted/burned anti-seize probably won't be able to seal the threads against any gas pressure, so I doubt you'll have a problem.

It'll burn off but leave some carbon and copper/aluminium/nickel (you don't specify) on the threads. The metal should continue to have an anti-corrosion/anti-seize function.

Next time (if there is one) you could up the anti-seize effect by cleaning out the bolt threads with a coke can, then rub with aluminium foil. Depending on thread clearance you might be able to wrap the bolts with fine foil (choc wrappers) and get some of it into the hole, metallic thread seal stylee.

you needoxygen to burn the ati-seize. How much oxygen is there IN thze blind hole? the fact you can smell it dictates it's not an issue or on the outside.

catalysts get much hotter than the block, are you sure that you are smelling the anti-seize in the block?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back