How many miles is a Chevy 3.4L timing chain good 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 2001 Impala with the 3.4 Liter engine and it now has 95,350 miles on it. Is it an interference engine, or not? And how many miles can one expect to get out of the timing chain on a Chevy 3.4 Liter before it should be changed to catch it before it breaks?

Timing chains have no specified interval, and should expected to last the life of the engine (although which isn't that long for a GM 3.4L...).

However, there are occasions where a timing chain will wear. My Jeep had this issue and was setting a CEL for a misfire due to the chain being stretched out.

Yup, codes and symptoms will give it away if the timing chain wears. I'll add that it's a common car so, when trouble arises, googling "2001 Impala P0xxx" will pull up lots of info.

If it is a twin cam per head 3.4 it's gona be a dual set up .(timing chain and timing belt) I would change it .its 16 years old

I had an olds silhouette with the same motor and the chain was fine.

Someone already did the intake manifold gaskets, and the van had an average case of cold piston slap.

But that motor made good power and hauled the family around at 24-27 MPG.

If it's the old push-rod 3.4L, that little chain should go 2-3x that mileage. Pretty much everything else will go first.

The pushrod GM 3.4 is a tough engine, its only major flaw being poor intake manifold gaskets.
I know of several of those engines with over 200k miles on original timing chains with no issues.

Yep you'll have gasket issues long before the chain wears out. Pretty sure I've seen 300k ones with original chains if you use the problem solver gaskets.

The transmission is also another huge worry besides everything else.

After that rust is the enemy, especially brake lines if it's original they didn't start costing them until 2003 MY

Timing belts have a specified change interval - chains rarely do, and the shorter, more sturdy chain used in a traditional overhead valve engine like your 3.4 will not need service unless it presents a problem (as mentioned above, trouble codes or poor running that can be narrowed down to the chain) or the engine is disassembled for another reason and the chain is found to have too much slack. Otherwise, it's maintenance free. Take care of all the periodic maintenance (including coolant system service) and educate yourself on the intake gasket downfalls of this engine and it should more than double that mileage.

Have no worries about that chain. Our 3.1 (little brother to the 3.4) went to 258,026 before it succumbed to a failed head gasket.

Thanks everyone for the input. It has not thrown any codes and runs just fine. I was just wondering about the timing chain because some engines are known for breaking timing chains, but I never heard anything negative about the Chevy 3.4

It has had the intake gasket done twice. The first time was under warranty with the first revision of that gasket. That failed and the second time it was done with the second revision of that gasket.

The cooling system has been flushed twice over the years, and the radiator sprang a leak a couple of months ago so it has a new radiator and some new coolant even though the coolant that was in it was not that old.

The brake lines rusted out and sprang a leak and were replaced with nickel alloy lines, along with new fuel lines. That was not cheap. Chevy no longer caries either. The pre-bent fuel line had to be imported from Canada, and the brake lines had to be bent to fit.

The trany fluid and filter was replaced twice so far, and a trany fluid cooler has been added.

Sounds like a pretty extensive maintenance history thus far. The radiator replacement would have replaced most of the coolant so you can consider it flushed - most cars that age wouldn't have had the coolant touched yet, barring any component failures.

The chain in mine is fine at 150k miles. I've just done the gaskets with the Fel Pro problem solvers along with all new cooling system parts, tensioner and idlers, old distributor shaft plug (slight leak), had both the alternator and starter rebuilt at a local shop (fantastic work at a great price), transmission pan dropped and filter changed, the PCV was plugged so I changed it and the hose out. Engine was a bit sludgy under the valve covers from a lifetime of intermittent changes with whatever was in the drum at a quick change type place. It gets PYB now and runs great with reasonable mileage.

I'd advise having an oil analysis done every now and again. The one I had done alerted me to the presence of coolant in the oil and so I changed the gaskets out before they really went.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back