Filter size difference XG2 VS FPS7317

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought this was interesting (maybe not?). On the Right is the Fram XG2, I had bought a couple of them for my now-gone Jeep, luckily they also work on my 4.6 mustang. On the left is a filter I just got in for my new truck, 2016 Frontier with the 4.0. The engines are of a somewhat similar size 4.6 - 4.0, but there is a big size difference in the filters

http://i.imgur.com/pjr1ci9.jpg Posting a link because I don't know how the full image will format on the site from mobile
frown.gif

I know the ultra says its good for 15k miles, anyone have any insight into running what looks like a smallish filter on a larger engine? I think the hyundai I service has a larger filter than the FPS7317 and thats a 1.6L. Nissan says change the oil at 5k intervals, so I was thinking of running the filter to 10k and seeing what it looks at that time.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
What year jeep did the xG2's fit? I have not run across one yet. I thought that filter only fit modular fords.

Mine was a 2013, but it was the 5.7 Hemi in a Grand Cherokee.

Ford has usually spec'ed a very large oil filter.
Compare what Ford does to what GM does for example. GM puts the tiniest cartridge oil filters in many of their 3.6L V6 engines. Ford puts the giant FL820S on many of their 3.0L V6s! Nissan is more like GM's design style.
Your plan to run to 10k is probably sound. For Fram Ultra to say 15k miles on ANY application is too blanket.

There is a 1/3 longer filter for the Nissan Armada V8 that will fit. After all my recent winter running woes, I will not run a hamster sized filter in the winter - the engine sounds like it is going to grenade at below freezing start and warmup.

I've tried many Nissan filters and fram, So far I'm having the best luck with M1-110 EP, Oddly and unexplainably, the now decent FRAM TG caused an odd resonance at 2000RPM on the QE25DE ( 2.5 litre 4 banger). Its gone with the M1-110. This M1 is NOT a rebadged Pur-o-leaker
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
For Fram Ultra to say 15k miles on ANY application is too blanket.

No it's not even their tiny XG7317 holds 13 grams of contamination compared to a larger filter like the XG3600/XG3980 which holds up to 15 grams.

The dual layer microglass has lots of holding capacity.

I've got the Fram Ultra 7317 currently on my wife's Frontier with the 4.0 V6. I'm on the third and final OCI with this filter with 5k OCIs. No start up noise. Frontier seems to like it. Another Ultra ready to take its place in 1500 miles for another 5k/3 OCI regimen.

Originally Posted By: Sierra048
I've got the Fram Ultra 7317 currently on my wife's Frontier with the 4.0 V6. I'm on the third and final OCI with this filter with 5k OCIs. No start up noise. Frontier seems to like it. Another Ultra ready to take its place in 1500 miles for another 5k/3 OCI regimen.

Awesome, thanks for the info! I just swapped the oil and filter last night. Its not terribly hard, that front skip plate makes things tricky, but the filter is so small its not a big deal. I noticed in the oil that came out some metallic glitter, with this being its second change and only 5k on the engine.

Side note, should there be some form of oil residue in a new Fram Ultra? I noticed it in the bottom of the can. I thought it was weird so i opened a second (got a 6 pack) and it had it also.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
What year jeep did the xG2's fit? I have not run across one yet. I thought that filter only fit modular fords.

Late model Ram trucks with 4.7L & 5.7L V8 engines use the metric thread MO-899 oil filter, which crosses with the FRAM PH/TG/XG 2. Earlier models (2009 back IIRC) use Mopar MO-090 oil filters which cross to FRAM PH/TG/XG 16, like their predecessor 5.2L Magnum and 5.9L Magnum engines used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back