CL175 - 10w30 vs. 10w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After breaking in my '72 Honda CL175 on Hondalube and Valvoline conventional 4-stroke 10w40 (less than 300 miles on each) I changed it to Amsoil metric bike 10w30. Rode it about 160 miles, pushing it pretty hard at times, on Friday and it used at least a half a quart. Refilled with the same oil, but in 10w40 weight, and it appears it used little to none on the return trip of about equal distance. Chalk it up to a fluke, or could the slightly thicker, different formulation be the tipping point for not going away so quickly in that engine?

I considered that, just didn't figure it was likely since I have 800+ miles on it and I didn't put it under any conditions I hadn't already except for the duration of the ride. Hmmm.

I am not a fan of super thin oils in air cooled engines. I have a 74 Honda 100 that I ride around the airport. After wearing out the head and cams, I've determined that thin oil is not conducive to long engine life.

I believe you. Since 10w40 is recommended I figured the top brand 10w30 with 45 years of technology on its side would do at least as well, but maybe not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back