Post your petroleum oil-related engine failures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Provide substantiated evidence to prove those failures were oil-related.

Zero oil-related engine failures here.

Petrol is refined petroleum oil.

A "100% Synthetic" 2 stroke oil mixed with petrol becomes a part-synthetic oil mix.

Petrol-kuzC--621x414@LiveMint.jpg

welcome2.gif
Interesting first post. I have never had an oil-related engine failure/issue or know of anyone that has off the top of my head. Everyone in my family/close friends either a) takes their cars to a quick lube whenever they think about it b) uses the cheapest oil/filter they can get by with or c) takes it to the dealer when the light comes on (cringe). They usually trade/get rid of their vehicles around 100K miles.

35.gif
+1

Last edited:
I have owned sixteen new vehicles over fifty some years and never had an engine failure. The 66 Dodge Dart I special ordered was a first class pos but the 273 V8 was not a problem.

LOL. Define "Failure" and "Oil-Related".

A good friend of mine had a ~2001 Dodge Ram whose oil turned to sludge so thick that it clogged up the oil pick-up screen and he lost oil pressure. That, in spite of frequent oil changes, many of which I witnessed. Does that count?

My cousin had a ~1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse that died because it burned oil and she never re-filled it. Does that count?

Ethanol fuel nozzle in a bike, I know earth.
Had 4: sized cht, shove valve in a cht, massive piston slap Chevette 1.6S (all E100), massive piston slap EJ16 (E25).

Last edited:
Just how would one go about proving the failure was oil related (i.e. the oil failed) and not a mechanical issue like an oil pump failing? The result would be the same.

" The 66 Dodge Dart I special ordered was a first class pos "

I think most years fell into that category. A friend had one with the infamous 225ci slant six. Every time he made a running left turn, the engine died. It was a common problem during that era with those engines.

As for oil related engine failures, never had one.

I've fixed plenty of oil related engine failures for other people. Never had a failure with my own engines.

This is the motorcycle section, so I'll stick to those. Honda and other Japanese sohc trailbike engines were prone to camshaft and rocker wear - rocker pads, cam lobes and (non) cam bearings in the head. There was qite an industry going on repairing cyl heads for these bikes. They also wore out camchains. Better oils seems to have stopped it happening, although there aren't as many of them around now. I've got a '70's and an '80's sohc Honda, both have good cams and rockers.

The only oil related failures I have seen are regarding flat tappet cams not being broken in properly. But I really chalk that up to installer/user error more than the fault of the oil since the person did not use the proper break in lubricants and procedure.

Everything else I have seen is the result of parts failures due to neglect, abuse, excessive wear, or poor construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back