Any German car fans use this oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ChristianReske
What i liked most about Liqui Molys Synthoil 5w-40 (Fully synthetik, Group IV) in both cars where i used it was the extremly low oil consumption.
I only had to top of with 0,3 Liters / 10.000 Km.

Expirience, engines and driving conditions differ.

They do, but with Liqui Moly one thing for me was always same: huge oil consumption in VW, Opel, Lancia and after that, I just never bought their oil every again.
Interestingly INA (Croatian), OLMA (Slovenian) and Optima (Bosnian) oils never had any consumption in those cars.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Mannol is not some obscure company.

Maybe not, but they could do a bit better with what they call A3/B4.

Mercedes doesn't seem to care, I know of at least 1 8.8 TBN lube on the 229.5 list. Maybe it's results that count?

Originally Posted By: Garak

Maybe not, but they could do a bit better with what they call A3/B4.

Mercedes doesn't seem to care, I know of at least 1 8.8 TBN lube on the 229.5 list. Maybe it's results that count?

Maybe what they should do is a better statement than "Corresponds with requirements / specifications " and "Meets the requirements and specifications".

Besides, what "results" can the average user be expected to ascertain?

The results of what, though? If something is on the list and is missing at least one component of the specification (and that's assuming it's not an artifact of using the "wrong" TBN testing method), then that's up to Mercedes to address, since they issued the approval and it's their list.

ACEA stuff is self-policed, which indicates the consumer has to be vigilante. So, if I see something that doesn't comply with ACEA requirements, I will comment on it. Aside from that, nothing else can really be done.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: ChristianReske
What i liked most about Liqui Molys Synthoil 5w-40 (Fully synthetik, Group IV) in both cars where i used it was the extremly low oil consumption.
I only had to top of with 0,3 Liters / 10.000 Km.

Expirience, engines and driving conditions differ.

They do, but with Liqui Moly one thing for me was always same: huge oil consumption in VW, Opel, Lancia and after that, I just never bought their oil every again.
Interestingly INA (Croatian), OLMA (Slovenian) and Optima (Bosnian) oils never had any consumption in those cars.

Never ever heard of this problem here, personall and in german car forums. Never.
Liqui Moly ist the Nr.1 brand here in germany with a lot of satisfied customers.
Maybe somebody sell you counterfeit Liqui Moly oil?

I'd say this product is to Mannol what Mos2 Leichtlauf is to LM....

They have something alike,
http://mannol.de/en/?action=accessory_chemical_preview&name=Molibden Benzin 10W-40
http://mannol.de/en/?action=accessory_chemical_preview&name=Molibden Diesel 10W-40

but in this "nano" case I`ll bet on tungsten/wolfram-disulfide.

Still, no mention of WS2 or MoS2 in a coresponding MSDS
http://mannol.de/imgbank/Image/public/images/bilder_chemie/msds/NANO_TECHNOLOGY_10W40_eng.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ChristianReske
MANNOL is unknown ans unseen on shelfes here in Germany.

AFAIK the company is manufacturing the oil in Lituania (Belarus) and the SCT trade company, the german headquarters, plays the marketing game "German Quality". Correct me if i am wrong.

I am Calfornian living in EU. I fly back and forth 4x a week.

1. Lithuania is NOT Belarus. Those are actually DIFFERENT countries. One in EU one outside EU. Before we comment on sophisticated oil chemistry, it is good to have this BASIC understanding of geography.
2. I have had a number of super expensive German cars (911, 911 turbo, S600, S65, M5, M6, I still have RR Phantom), compared to Japanese cars I hold them ALL in CONTEMPT so for me
"Made in Germany" is actually INFERIOR, maintenance prohibitive, highly unreliable over engineered stuff devoid of common sense and reliable simplicity that see in legendary Toyota quality.
I would suggest the notion of beating to the death of the the notion "Made in Germany" as in ANY way better be put to rest. Made in Germany in my view is a joke.
There are hard working people in every part of the world. Just because someone makes anything in Germany does not make their products better or more reliable. These days
I find it quite the contrary. My question is:

In EU a young person is driving a VP Passat 2005/2006 2.0 fsi engine(horrible uneliable joke of an engine) BLR. I am trying to navigate this person to do static change of ATF fluid in it.
As usual, I called VW and Porsche dealers... KAINE DEUTSCHE ORDNUNG (typical German ORDER in past century NOW.. typical lack of German order in XXI century). I say this as a European
bred and born in Europe in a German city of Gdansk.
The nonsense and chaos resulted in them not knowing what transmission this car has AFTER I GAVE VIN to several VW dealrs.
They even had different engine in different computer systems liste for this 1 OWNER CAR! They did not know if this was DSG/DCT or hydro kinetic classical.
They were GUESSING ZF 5HP19... then that it was DCT/DSG...and so with it they could not figure out what is was in the end.
I got so upset I got the car jacked up. Surprise here, that probably explains why the transmission was doing so well unlike the rest of the brilliant Made in Germany/Made in Mosel engineering:

It has AISIN WARNER 6 speed Transm. HXJ Type AQ250/TF-60SN/09G;

Now I want to have them do static change of oil in it (not machine pressurized), drop pan, replace filter+seal, add 4L.
total fluid in it is 7l. Question I have. For this transmission VW OE speced is G055025a2. Price per liter is $50. Not that it matters to me, but as a
matter of principle I do not pay for over engineered German aspirations and hate being milked by German pretense of quality
especially that this is a fine Japanese transmission.

Question I have.

Is it sufficient I put:

OIl that only meets Dexron T III
OIl that only meets Dexron T iV
OIl that only meets JSW 3309

as it happens in Poland where I am located now I see shelves FULL of this Mannol. Allegedly this is a marketing outfit in UK making stuff in Lithuania (weird because their site looks like in Germany).
Prices are best I can see on this market in Poland so far. I found ATF multi vehicle meeting

MANNOL ATF MULTIVEHICLE JWS3309 DEXRON III T-IV 4L for $15 for 4 FOUR liter.
It meets unknown to me norm JASO 315 1A (no idea what it is and if relevant for my choice)
According to their website that I do not particularly trust that oil fits VW Passat 2006 3C2 with this AISIN transmission.

https://sct-catalogue.de/index.php?...tem_code=SCT_ATFMULTIVEHICLE&return=

https://sct-catalogue.de/index.php?...tem_code=SCT_ATFMULTIVEHICLE&return=

May I ask if those well versed in chemical standards would kindly reply if this oil should be fine to replace the overpriced VW OE G055025a2.
Based on my research the outrageously priced VW OE G055025a2 is equivalent to just ATF III H
spec....so I could even get just an easily found ATF II H

Your intelligent and knowledgeable input would be tremendously appreciated. I am not gonna pay $50/liter of VW OE G055025a2 branded oil
for marketing victims of MADE IN GERMANY especially that this is a Japanese excellent transmission and using anything Made in Germany
actually detracts from its reliability factor. I was super happy when I realized the it did not have VW DSG/DCT but a Japanese hydro kinetic transmission.
This transmission is actually pretty much the ONLY reliable part of this car Made in Germany. All else starting from mundane plastics craps out.

Car has 150k US miles (I converted to miles from km that EU uses). Oil changed at 50K miles, and 100K miles. Now I am planning to have them do the said static change again. All I need is
wise oil selection. Anything Made in Germany for me is not that choice unless it can compete on price and quality rather than expect I am think
it is in any way better as it is made in Germany.

Last edited:
I emailed Mannol Costumer service and they confirmed some important facts:
1. Mannol is cheap oil for a good reason, it is NOT fully synthetic
2. Some of their oil are approved by manufacturer, you can trust those oils with certifications like VW 506/507 5w30, or 508/509 0w20, they are tested by VW.
3. The certified Oil such as 0w-20 7722 are usually not cheap, very close to Total, Shell, Mobil1, or Castrol price for 5 L ($30 vs $35), the non-certified 0W20 Ultra Legen 7918 is very cheap, about $32 for 10L, or half-price. I don't think it is a bad oil, it is just not certified for 35 000 Km or 18k miles longlife IV like 7722. The price for 7918 and 7922 are very similar in 20L jugs, I believe they are very close.
4. It is impossible to sell full synthetic oil for $15 per 5L, just not possible.

So, if you want aftermarket engine oil and with 6 months or 5k miles interval, Mannol is a great choice. But if you want to do 18k miles/1year, you should go with their certified oil or other brands like Mobil1, or Castrol. For Transmission Fluid, always get certified Dexron VI, Merco V,LV, etc. Or get from Aisin directly for Toyota WS or TIV transmissions like Aisin ATF6 and ATF6+, otherwise, just go to Toyota dealership.

Their answers are in German:

Guten Morgen,
unsere Öle sind (mit Ausnahme der mineralischen Öle) allesamt teilsynthetisch.
Unser 7722 ist ein brandneues Produkt mit einer neuere Rezeptur, zudem haben wir hierfür eine offizielle Freigabe von VW. Daher ist der Preis entsprechend höher für die Endkunden.
Der Unterschied zwischen 7918 und 7921 liegt in der Zusammensetzung der Produkte, sowie den Additiven. Ins Detail kann ich hier leider nicht gehen. Aber sofern für Ihr Fahrzeug die Spezifikationen erfüllt werden, können Sie sich das Produkt aussuchen, dass Ihnen mehr zusagt.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Daniel Kerlien
Sales Manager
Sudheimer Car Technik Vertriebs GmbH
Feldstraße 154
22880 Wedel /HAMBURG-Germany
Tel: +49 (0) 4103-12 11 115
Fax: +49 (0) 4103-12 11 116
E-mail: d.[email protected]
Internet: www.mannol.de or www.sct-lubricants.com

Status
Not open for further replies.