Liqui Moly Synthoil Premium 5W-40 for VW/Audi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well spec or no spec the viscosity wouldn't be that far off. 502.00 is more than just viscosity. Any 5W-30 isn't going to be "like water" compared to a spec oil.

Some people either make stuff up on Internet boards, misinterpret what they hear, or have no idea what they are talking about. Or maybe that sump was filled with water.

Originally Posted By: atikovi
As the engine warms up, the 0W properties become 40W so not necessarily.

No. It is a 40 weight oil that thickens less than a 5W-40 will as it gets very cold.

It is never a 0 weight oil. It is always a 40 weight.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Can't use 0W anything as it's too thin, that is what the guy in the Audi parts department said.

I can't believe you've been a member here for 7 years and believe this khrap.

That's got to be a Wheatie ball.

I have used this in my 11 Jetta 2.5L engine for 30k miles with very good success. I would easily recommend its use to another.

The 0W and the 40 are measured on different scales. The 0W will only come into effect when bitterly cold, below 0 degree. Above that, 0W and 5W will be indistinguishable. At operating temps, both oils will share the same HT/HS values and protect the same, hence qualifying for the VW502.00 spec.

That Audi tech fellow has no business working at a European car dealership if he thinks a 0w40 is too thin.

Car calls for 5W-40 and still under warranty. No Mobil 1 or Castrol in that weight near me. Can get the LM for $25/5L jug. Is this a good choice?

Yes, its a good choice, it meets the standard you are looking for and the price seems good.

You can also order 5w40 Valvoline Synpower 5w40 at Walmart on line for $7.50 a quart, free delivery.

As of this post Walmart also has Pennzoil Platinum Euro sale for less, i didnt check if it was 502 but thik it is. There maybe more oils too, i just took a quick look.

Last edited:
You are good to go with that oil. Like others have said, there is almost zero difference in those oils unless you live north of Duluth Minnesota in the winter. The 5w40 has different viscosity improvers and will tend to be more stable over the life of the oil than the 0w40. That is the only real benefit to the 5 over the 0. Either one will be fine in most situations as long as they have the 502.00 approval.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Can't use 0W anything as it's too thin, that is what the guy in the Audi parts department said.

I can't believe you've been a member here for 7 years and believe this khrap.

Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back