1991 Honda Civic Si Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
1991 Honda Civic 3rd Hatchback Si

Need a recommendation on a good battery that is not too costly.
The car is no longer driven on the streets or freeways but needs to get turned on to move in and out of the garage.
The cars sits for longs periods of time.

Blew the head gasket last year and will be looking into getting it repaired

Many, many battery threads on here.

My vote: AAP w/$40 off discount code.

Originally Posted By: mclasser

AAP? what store is this?

What size battery does it need? If it is that relatively small size battery use in older civic, you just have to check which store have it and buy it. There are not too many choices out there.

I used to owned a 97 Civic and IIRC, only 1 store in town has it.
I live in Dallas Metroplex.
The mechanic that I bought it from, got the battery for me as a service.

This has been a few years back so availability may change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gito
Originally Posted By: mclasser

AAP? what store is this?

Advance Auto Parts

Group 51

L 9-5/16
W 5"
H 8-11/16

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Warstud
I wouldn't buy a NEW BATTERY until you get the car fixed.

Need a good battery or I'm going to eventually damage my alternator.
I'm having to jump start the battery twice a week

In your case an Optima battery may be something to look into. Optimas are expensive but tend to hold a charge for quite a while. I would disconnect the battery every time the car is moved to stop any parasitic drain on the battery.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I wouldn't buy a NEW BATTERY until you get the car fixed.

Need a good battery or I'm going to eventually damage my alternator.
I'm having to jump start the battery twice a week

Sounds like the Battery isn't hold a charge. Usually with a bad battery...the vehicle will be dead when you go to start it. With a bad alternator the vehicle will die while driving. To be sure...go to AZ or AAP and have both tested.

Battery does not hold a charge anymore. I am able to use my jump starter on it and then start the car.

Alternator is good.

Why are you moving it? Unless you get the engine and exhaust up to operating temp for 10-15 minutes you should not start a stored vehicle. Park it and leave it until it's fixed.

The battery you now have in the vehicle could be OK, or it could be bad. If you are only running the engine a few minutes every time you start it, then you are not running it long enough to charge the battery. So even if the battery is good it would not charge long enough to be able to have enough charge to start the vehicle the next time you try to start it.

You should put the battery you now have on a charger for several hours and then see if it holds enough charge to start the vehicle.

Once you have a good battery (be it the one you now have after being proved good by charging it and then seeing that it can start the vehicle, or be it a new battery) you should use a battery tender to keep the battery charged when you are not using it.

Battery does not hold a charge anymore. I am able to use my jump starter on it and then start the car.

Alternator is good.

OK, so the alternator is good, but you are not running it long enough for it to charge the battery.

You can't charge a battery with an alternator. It needs to be hooked up to the grid on a high amp charger if you have any chance of saving it. By not driving it you will kill any fancy expensive battery from parasitic draw.

I would recommend charging the battery first, you can take it to an auto parts store and drop it off for at least a few hours if you don't have a charger.

Then when you charge it and put it back in the car unhook one of the cables until you need to move the car so it doesn't drain too fast

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
You can't charge a battery with an alternator. It needs to be hooked up to the grid on a high amp charger if you have any chance of saving it. By not driving it you will kill any fancy expensive battery from parasitic draw.

I would recommend charging the battery first, you can take it to an auto parts store and drop it off for at least a few hours if you don't have a charger.

Then when you charge it and put it back in the car unhook one of the cables until you need to move the car so it doesn't drain too fast

I guess I should of told you guys the history behind this battery. Its a 2010 battery that has been charged at Sears multiple times due to a previous bad alternator.
I finally got a rebuilt alternator from a reputable shop and charged the battery at Sears. Sears showed me it was holding the charge so I installed it on the car

I think its time for a new battery but I will certainly will try charging it at Sears one last time and see if it holds charge. The battery is old.

Last edited:
Back up a bit.

Is this car registered in-op or however you do it in california?

still paying insurance on it?

What is your plan REALLY for fixing the HG. Why are you not tearing into it this weekend? Next weekend?

Don't be running a car with a bad HG just so the alternator charges the battery. You can mix fluids and wreck your bearings etc. Park it somewhere where it's out of the way.

Don't blow money on a battery or continuing insurance without looking in the mirror and having an exit strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back