1991 Honda Civic Si (D16A6) head gasket orientation

Replacing the head gasket on my 1991 Honda Civic Si (D16A6).

The Genuine Honda head gasket for my 1991 Honda Civic Si does not appear to have any markings (ex. TOP) that would indicate on which side or in which direction the head gasket should be installed.

Since the head gasket does not have any markings on how it should be installed, should I assume that it can be installed using any side?
All of the openings on the gasket line up with the openings on the engine block surface.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

The head gaskets don't look symmetric. You can see the holes aren't the same on the right and left sides :unsure:

Head gaskets for the OP's Civic

SFL_26320PT_P04_TOP.jpg

If you have not done it already place both of the dowel pin cylinders in the block (the bolt holes second from the sides on the front) and place the gasket over them. One or both of the cylinders may have stayed in the head during removal.

The head gaskets don't look symmetric. You can see the holes aren't the same on the right and left sides :unsure:

Head gaskets for the OP's Civic

SFL_26320PT_P04_TOP.jpg

This is the correct orientation for this head gasket when its sitting on the engine deck. Water enters the cylinder area from the lower right, back side of the engine. The water shoots across on the backside of the cylinders and the head gasket is blocked off on the left side (cylinder 4) to direct more water around the cylinders and back towards the right side of the engine rather than just immediately short circuiting up and into the head which would lead to hot spots on the right side of the head and forward side of the cylinders.

Back