Steering wheel shaking over 70 MPH

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a local shop that straightens frames, for a couple bucks more they get to the tough problems.

Just to add.. my 2003 Park Ave now has similar miles to your Solara, and drives as smooth as a new car at highway speeds.. BUT, I've got Michelins with 75% tread remaining, fairly new struts and shocks, new cv axles both sides (steering wheel was wobbling going around corners at lower speeds), new front wheel bearings (one had a bad seal, replaced them both), and new front rotors. I did the work myself, so it kept the cost reasonable. I wasn't chasing a vibration issue, just want to keep the car a few more years, so time for some upkeep. Any one of those items could cause vibration issues, even the struts (if excessively worn).
My point is that it could be hard to track down the vibration source if your car has a few worn components. A good set of tires with an alignment is a good start...

Originally Posted By: carviewsonic
Just to add.. my 2003 Park Ave now has similar miles to your Solara, and drives as smooth as a new car at highway speeds.. BUT, I've got Michelins with 75% tread remaining, fairly new struts and shocks, new cv axles both sides (steering wheel was wobbling going around corners at lower speeds), new front wheel bearings (one had a bad seal, replaced them both), and new front rotors. I did the work myself, so it kept the cost reasonable. I wasn't chasing a vibration issue, just want to keep the car a few more years, so time for some upkeep. Any one of those items could cause vibration issues, even the struts (if excessively worn).
My point is that it could be hard to track down the vibration source if your car has a few worn components. A good set of tires with an alignment is a good start...

Wow you really did change a lot! Most of the stuff on the front axle is old. Pretty sure the shocks haven't been changed, but again, I don't know anything about the car prior to owning it.

All I took away from this is that you usually drive in the left lane at the speed limit on a busy highway. Why? Is it your lane? Are you enforcing the speed limit? Move over!

Originally Posted By: bvance554
All I took away from this is that you usually drive in the left lane at the speed limit on a busy highway. Why? Is it your lane? Are you enforcing the speed limit? Move over!

Oh wow. I had missed that part.

That's pretty awful.

It's not the Tires/Balance. It was shaking before you got the new tires because the old tires were cupped. The new tires and balance got rid of the extreme shaking but you still got a suspension/alignment problem because you steering wheel is still shaking. There is a suspension/alignment reason that the old tires were cupped. Jmo.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Take it back to where you had the tires put on. They may not have balanced them properly or the tires themselves are at fault. Possibly the installation too. This didn't happen before so let them correct it. You should be totally satisfied with the job on all counts.

This is what I'd say!

Definitely have the suspension checked as well but, I have had brand new tires improperly balanced. Have them do it again, this often cures the vibration at speed.

Last edited:
Get the tires rebalanced and if the problem is still there have the suspension checked.
Do one thing at a time so you know what fixed it.

Id double check the balance first. Depending on the tires there's a red dot that is supposed to be in line with the valve stem. Failing to line them up will cause balancing issues.

If that isn't he issue check the rods, ball joints and all front end bushings.

Well, you had 4 new tires and a balance because of vibration. Now the vibration is in the steering wheel.

Did you get an alignment with the new tires? Something you should always do IMO.

Not knowing if they rotated the rims, try a rotation yourself. Tires are new so its no big deal for wear. Move fronts to back, see if the vibration follows. If it doesn't and there is still vibration in the wheel, you've ruled out tires and rims.

When you hit the brakes does it vibrate at any other speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back