M1 Annual priced right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering trying this stuff...but at walmart it is 49.XX for the 5 qt jug. Is that a good price?

5K OCI more than EP for double the money, sounds like a steal of a deal if your brain dead (not saying you are).

Last edited:
Can buy the Mobil 1 EP 15,000 mile oil for $25 on sale, so Annual at $50 is not good.

Oh drrrrrr...yes...I forgot about the M1 15K. You are right... indeed it is a rip off

Last edited:
I think it's funny how ExxonMobil is spinning M1EP as a 15,000 mile oil and M1AP as a 1 year oil. If you look at the specs though, it's:

M1EP 1 year, 15,000 miles, $25 for a 5 quart jug.
M1AP 1 year, 20,000 miles, $50 for a 5 quart jug.

Now, if ExxonMobil would tell us what goes in to their latest and greatest oil, we might get excited. But, they hold the position of "Just look at the specs, don't worry your sweet little head about what's in the oil, that's our job."

Consequently, I think they've painted themselves into a corner. The spec difference doesn't justify the cost difference, and it's against their policy to say just how great their base stocks might be.

Watch for Castrol and Shell to come out with 20k/1 year oils, and then the price will settle down to about $35 for 5 quarts.

I saw an ad on TV for M1 Annual. They were marketing it as a savings over 3k mile oil changes. I found that approach rather entertaining.

While I totally get the point that for the dude doing oil changes every 3k miles, even at $50, M1 Annual would actually be a savings. But I think Mobil missed a point here. Those that are still doing 3k oil changes are doing it because they believe it is the right thing to do for an engine. And they aren't about to change to a 20k oil change interval just because Mobil says they can.

M1EP has been out for how long? At least a decade? If those that believe in a 3k oil change interval haven't switched over to M1EP for a 15k oci, what makes Mobil think they will try a 20k interval product?

Here is the M1 ad for the annual m1... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-8k-i3hQ-E

I wish they tested their other oils at this interval. I suspect they all would be nearly the same. The ad says "I can't see any visible signs of wear" after 120k on the oil at 20k OCIs. But wouldn't m1 ep be the same under similar observations an conditions.

Originally Posted By: WillsYoda
Here is the M1 ad for the annual m1... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-8k-i3hQ-E

I wish they tested their other oils at this interval. I suspect they all would be nearly the same. The ad says "I can't see any visible signs of wear" after 120k on the oil at 20k OCIs. But wouldn't m1 ep be the same under similar observations an conditions.

Huge difference if the testing achieved those 20K miles per OCI in big chunks....like 1K-5K miles at a time without stopping the engine or cool it down. Now try it in 5-15 mile intervals with a cold start every time.

I want to try to Mobil 1 Annual Protection too but just can't stomach the price when there are so many other great oils out there at less than half the price.

So I ask this. Years back I asked an Mobil rep how long plain M1 was good for and was told it is good for 7500 miles. So would PP and all other synthetic brands be good for at least 7500?

Oh look, the marketing director for Mobil is bailing out of his flaming airplane before it crashes and burns.

26AB922700000578-2995616-KT1_Crash_OliverSanta_8594_jpg-a-13_1426434733956.jpg

The problem is you're basing the pricing only on Walmart as the lowest price for M1 EP.

If Walmart decides to stop selling M1 EP at that price, (ala the PUP) then where are you going to get M1 EP for $25 and all the logic is dependent only on walmart pricing. Say you can only get M1 EP for $40, then what?

so perhaps the takeaway is you better stock up on walmart M1 EP as it is an outlier...

Originally Posted By: OPR4H
I'm waiting for uoas at 20k+ older than a years. It will take some time, but.

Right, its gonna be awhile before we have enough 20k runs on this oil at BITOG. Between the price and the fact that 75% of the site won't run an interval over 6k its gonna be a wait.

That said *points to nose* NOT IT!

Originally Posted By: raytseng
The problem is you're basing the pricing only on Walmart as the lowest price for M1 EP.

If Walmart decides to stop selling M1 EP at that price, (ala the PUP) then where are you going to get M1 EP for $25 and all the logic is dependent only on walmart pricing. Say you can only get M1 EP for $40, then what?

so perhaps the takeaway is you better stock up on walmart M1 EP as it is an outlier...

This logic would make sense if it were logical. However Walmart has had it for a long while and they haven't had a history of pricing it at $40. Plus I think even regular Mobil 1 with the $12 rebate is still a better deal than any 20k oil.

If the decision is to buy it now, the 15k EP makes more sense. If you're worried about the price of it going up, there's also the same possibility, which is probably greater that this $50 oil will come down in price.

Hey, I decided I will not be trying M1 AP. This even turned me off to the idea of M1 EP, honestly.

I think I will get some Pennzoil Platinum, or the SynPower if those coupons posted are valid.

Someone at Mobil really dropped the ball on market research with this one. I have been saying for 10 year on this board that the average American car owner is not going to spend Euro prices for engine oil or even the car itself, not now not ever.
The fact is its going the other way, real car enthusiast are dwindling in numbers, the vast majority of young people see the car as transportation and don't care about them never mind maintaining them, they rather advocate for mass transportation, electric or autonomous vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back