Coolant flush additive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I have a car that has been stored for 7 years which I've recently started up.

Is it a good idea to use any coolant flush additive on it?

The coolant in it now looks fine (green in colour).

I did take off the radiator hose and it is lined with a brown almost powder like substance but it isn't too bad overall.

Thanks in advance

You don't need any additive, just fill with distilled, bleed, drive, drain & repeat until it drains completely clear.

Fill up with your choice of coolant and you're good to go
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
Go to the Mercedes dealer and get Citric Acid Cooling System Cleaner# 000989102511

+1. Daimler citric procedure is great. Here's a link to DIY:

http://dieselgiant.com/mercedes_citrus_flush.htm

Do you know the coolant is high silicate green? If not, some of the store ought liquid "flush", or just a few drain and refills may suffice...

Originally Posted By: Spetz

I did take off the radiator hose and it is lined with a brown almost powder like substance but it isn't too bad overall.

This and IIRC you want this for track use so you want the cooling system in good shape and clean. The MB stuff is perfect for mixed metal engines and aluminum unlike some aftermarket products that don't play with aluminum very well, some are/were so strong they require(d) a neutralizer.

If one uses this sort of thing, should the heat be left off or assuming coolant always flows through it, should it be bypassed?

Originally Posted By: Trav
Go to the Mercedes dealer and get Citric Acid Cooling System Cleaner# 000989102511

Can anyone find an SDS for this product? I ask, because citric acid crystals are available much less expensive. It is recommended for water softener maintenance and is also used in food preparation.

Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D50XHPC

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
If one uses this sort of thing, should the heat be left off or assuming coolant always flows through it, should it be bypassed?

Just leave the heat turned on if it uses a ranco valve to flush the core, blower speed doesn't matter. If it uses blend doors you don't need to do anything its going through the core anyway.
If this is strictly a track car I would bypass the HC, the core seems to be a weak ink in the system for some reason.

Just curious if this method can be used with all vehicles or is Mercedes specific.

Found following method on one of the Mercedes forums,

Re: Citric acid

If you need to clean your cooling system first, here's the procedure courtesy of Len Sokoloff:

MB recommends a two step process:

1. First deoil the system - use Mercedes-Benz product specifically for de-greasing the cooling system. It is Part # A.001.986.21.71 a 500gram container of "trioxosilicate disodique pentahydrate" . Per the label - mix 50 grams per liter of warm water. Fill the cooling system, warm it up and flush VERY well. When flushing, fill the system up with clear water, get it up to temperature again and drain. Do this several times until you are sure it is all flushed out.

2. Decalcify the system - dissolve a pound of citric acid in hot water and pour it in. Get it up to temperature and thoroughly flush again. Citric acid can be obtained from most pharmacies or use MB brand of Citric Acid Powder, part # A.000.989.10.25 for 500gram container. (Yes - it's still available)

After you have thoroughly flushed the system and only residual water is left in the engine and heater, re-connect all disconnected hoses and close all drains.

Then add 8 ounces of Redline Water Wetter (to enhance coolant heat removal) and 6 ounces of water pump lubricant. Since you want NO MORE than 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and water, add no more than one half of the cooling system capacity of MB brand antifreeze. Don’t try to mix 50/50 in a container and expect to get it all to “fit” in your cooling system – there is always some water left in the engine block and heater after flushing with a strong stream from your garden hose. So the system will already have some water left inside, so add 40% to 50% of capacity. Top off the system with water, leave off the radiator cap and start the engine. As it warms up you may have to add more water to bring the level to the specified mark on the coolant tank. Check the level again after a day or so and top up as necessary with water.

Regards,

George Murphy

MBCA Technical Director

865-482-9175

1999 C43 AMG

For oil, eg after HG failure or accidentally filling the wrong container, use a dishwasher tablet.
For crust and scale use apple cider vinegar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back