Throwback Thursday , 1950 Indy 500 Mobil oil video

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I see these older era race cars, I can't believe the complete and total neglect for safety they had back then. Wide open cockpits and no roll bars! Those cars were all but suicidal to drive. Any roll over would all but certainly result in serious injury or death. And the narrow chassis and wheelbase all but insured a roll over if they got out of shape. And it took so long for things to improve. In Formula 1 you had drivers like Jackie Stewart, who pushed hard for safety in cars, as well as at the tracks. But back in the 50's they just accepted it. It wasn't much better in NASCAR in the early years. Drivers like Fireball Roberts, who suffered horribly with painful severe burns for over a month before he died. Auto racing paid a tremendous price to insure the safety of todays drivers.

If you want some good video of the older vehicles of several racing categories, albeit driven at a much more leisurely pace, I'd suggest checking the Goodwood Youtube channel. NismoTV on Youtube has also been showing some vintage stuff as of late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back