NOCO Genius G7200 charging algorithms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using my G7200 Smart charger for the past two months to maintain my brand new battery. The last week I've noticed that the charging algorithm has changed. I drive the car short trips so I've been boosting the battery when I get home and unplug it when the unit reaches 100%. Usually takes 10-15 minutes.

For the last week I've noticed that the charger will charge the battery to 100% and instead of staying in maintain mode/100%, the smart chargerbegins the charging cycle over going from 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%. This will usually happen 2-4 times until the last cycle the battery will remain at the 100% charge status.

Is the "Smart "charger seeing something I'm not? Those with the NOCO Genius Chargers have you seen this as Well? For the first 2 months the unit only required 1 charging cycle and the battery charge indicator remained in the 100% level.

I thought the unit was faulty and I had Amazon send a replacement and the same charging cycle repeat occurred.

Even with short trips I think you are overdoing the charging at home.

With EFI and electronic ignition, cars don't take a lot of battery juice to start them.

I would charge once every 2 weeks and forget what exact algorithm the charger uses.

I did think I was overcharging the battery. I'll charge it once every two weeks.

Never seen this behavior with my g7200, but then I don't use it more often than once a month.

Did you try contacting Noco to see what they have to say about this behavior?

I contacted NOCO and they stated this is normal. Depending on the state of charge and battery health the charger will extend the charging times.

It just seemed odd that the charger now takes 2-3 charge cycles to maintain 100%. It made me think the charger had somehow damaged my new battery.

Batteries do change as they age as to what they require to reach full.

Really, trying to determine what any charger is doing by the percentage readout and flashing or blinking lights is nearly entirely futile.

How many volts is it bringing the battery to
?

What amperage is is initially applying to get the battery to the max allowed voltage?.... also Unknown but very revealing if it were known.

If you really want to know twhat the charger is doing, Splice this into the charger's DC output cables:

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Analyzer-G-...+watt+meter+130

Some of these are not able to read amperages under 0.2 amps at 12 battery charging voltages, but unless one is charging small AGM batteries this is not a huge deal breaker. A bigger battery might be in the 0.2 amp range at 13.2v when fully charged, but this wattmeter might read 0.00. It aint perfect and there are many clones. ive had a few very accurate at low currents, some not so much.

It will display Minimum voltage, Amp peak, Watt Peak, Amps, watts, volts, Amp hours, watt hours, and perhaps the time it has been powered up.

So one could see that the NBoco perhaps returned 2.4AH into the battery before it threw the green light, and if it were a 100Ah battery then determine perhaps it was ~ 97.6% charged. Some Amps are turned into heat when the battery is in this range, so these numbers are more useful for later comparisons.

My older Schumachers display does not light up at all anymore. My Wattmeter shows me it is working, how many amps it is delivering and what the max voltage allowed is.

Also, when you hook your Noco to the battery after driving, the battery is likely still over 13 volts due to surface charge from being cherged by the alternator. Many automatic chargers will see this initial voltage above 12.8v, and assume the battery is fully charged. it might decide to hold only float voltage of 13.2 to 13.4. Ideally one wants the voltage to get upto the mid 14's until amps taper to 1 ot 2% of the battery capacity Like a 100Ah battery when amps taper to 2 at 14.5v, the battery should be fully charged. if it is still taking 12 amps at 14,5v it is far from fully charged.

To ensure an Automatic charging source seeks absorption voltages in teh 14's, one needs to lower battery voltage to below 12.8v by applying a large load like the headlamps or blower motor, then start charger then turn off load.

If one just puts the lights on for a bit, then off, then starts the charger, the voltage might rebound above 12.8v in that time.

one has to be smarter than todays smart chargers, and trick them when battery voltage might still be above 12.8v from recent charging via alternator or other charging source.

Like Unplugging the charger while it was chrging, then restarting it, it might see 13+ volts and think the battery is alreadyt fully charged and then seek only float voltage when the battery should be instead brought upto 14.X volts for X amount of time.

Deeply cycled batteries, intentionally or not often need many charger restarts to actually fully charge the battery, and to restart it, requires one lower battery voltage below 12.8v then start charger.

it does not mattery how many stages a battery charger has, nor the marketing literature of it. If it is connected to a battery with artificially high voltage due to recent charging sources being applied, it will likely decide the battery is already full and then not attempt to seek and hold absorption voltages in the mid 14 range.

At lesser voltages, it takes much much longer to fully charge a battery, and an older abused battery might never get fully charged at voltages in the mid 13's

AGM settings on smart chargers will usually float the batteries at 13.6v, where as the flooded setting is usually around 13.2v. A lot more charging will happen at 13.6 compared to 13.2, So do not fear putting the charger on a flooded/wet starting battery, using the AGM setting overnight, Just do not leave it on for a week on the AGM setting.

Using the AGM setting should also keep some voltage happy Schumacher chargers from exceeding 15 volts. Some Schumachers will go to 16+ volts on the flooded setting, and this is not so good for the battery, or perhaps the vehicle it might still be connected to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back