Same price-PU 5w-30 or Edge Extended 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if someone can chip in their experience or knowledge, if both can be acquired with the similar price, which oil would be better picks, Pennzoil PurePlus Ultra Platinum 5w-30 or Castrol Edge Extended Performance 5w-30 (gold bottle).
I tried to find more info on Castrol but seems very little info available.
Thank you.

If you can find the ultra platinum, I would go with that. They're both good oils, but I just prefer Pennzoil, and I know the ultra platinum is awesome. Don't know anything about the edge EP.

If you can actually find PU, use it
smile.gif

For an OCI of 10K or less I'd prefer the Pennzoil.....if I was extending my OCI beyond 10K I'd probably go with the Castrol only because they claim it can do it (while SOPUS doesn't make such claims for PU).

Initially I want to get PU but Castrol seems have slightly thicker 100C viscosity that may be better for older engine, and their promo mentioned better maintaining viscosity than M1 EP.
Sounds so tempting

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
Initially I want to get PU but Castrol seems have slightly thicker 100C viscosity that may be better for older engine, and their promo mentioned better maintaining viscosity than M1 EP.
Sounds so tempting

Well go ahead and give it a try, maybe even throw us a UOA afterwards :p

I liked our run of Edge EP in both cars.

Malibu is still on it, and being all highway miles will be for awhile hopefully.

I have both in the stockpile, not that I have a large supply by any means. Only 22 quarts. The Ultra I have in 5w20 and 10w30 Edge Gold bottle.

I'd go with the Ultra, usually it's been hard to find but is very well known for its cleaning ability.

Better at what? My understanding is that Ti works cold, so for short tripper that would be my choice. Hot runs PP>PU would be the pick. The rest is marketing [censored].

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Better at what? My understanding is that Ti works cold, so for short tripper that would be my choice. Hot runs PP>PU would be the pick. The rest is marketing [censored].

Interesting, would you mind elaborating more on cold definition, for this application, mostly 8 miles trip couple times a day, with ambient at 85f.
So far PU stay cleaner much longer than M1 but engine noise only silent upon 20 min driving.

All they are doing is substituting Ti for Zn in the organometallic complex, I wouldn't think that would change the activation temperature for any anti-wear properties. It's just to protect the catalyst, right?

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
If you can actually find PU, use it
smile.gif

+1 Lately finding it can be a major undertaking.

As I understand it, Ti is working without an activation temp , unlike zddp.

I wouldn't know how that would work, do you have a link?

You're not talking about that titanium dioxide thread a while back, are you?

Can't remember exactly, but I did see the thread on the food coloring. Molakule I think explained it, or linked the article. Basically Ti cares not for hot/cold, it just does its job. Which is a big deal compared to zddp where it needs to be warm to work and starts to degrade at higher temps.

Can't remember exactly, but I did see the thread on the food coloring. Molakule I think explained it, or linked the article. Basically Ti cares not for hot/cold, it just does its job. Which is a big deal compared to zddp where it needs to be warm to work and starts to degrade at higher temps.

Yeah that's completely different. That was about using titanium dioxide nanoparticles as a mechanical friction modifier. When Ti is substituted for Zn in a organometallic complex it's just a substitution of the central metal ion to eliminate Zn. The nano particles would have a mechanical effect rather than a chemical one which would be unrelated to temperature. It would also be an anti friction compound, not anti wear.

Central metal ions are often substituted in coordination compounds for various reasons but often do not materially affect the overall properties of the compound.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...ium#Post4337179

Originally Posted By: PolarisX
Didn't someone find out that the amount of Ti in those oils is really really low though?

VOAs seem to show either 0 PPM or 7 PPM. Still has Zinc too.

Also I don't think anyone is using titanium dioxide in motor oils. That wasn't clear in the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back