A Tire Rack Installation Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was time for new shocks and struts for the F150 and I decided to splurge on some Bilstiens. The best price I found was Tire Rack. My usual garage wouldn't handle a job with parts that the customer brings so, I decided to try the Tire Rack recommended installer. The order arrived in a reasonable time and I scheduled the install. About an hour and a half after I dropped it off, I receive a call from the installer saying that the Bilstien struts saying that they didn't come with spring plates attached. They had never seen any like this. They would install the rears but weren't sure what to do. I had to call Tire Rack customer service, who had to call hardware support. After 20 minutes, Tire Rack called back to say that that they were supposed to remove the old plates and install them on the new ones. The installer reluctantly agreed to do it, at my peril.

This was the "recommended installer". What would have happened if I had just picked anybody off the list? For me, I won't order anything from Tire Rack that I can't install myself. I suggest Tire Rack vet their installers a bit better.
crazy2.gif

I tend to stay away from shops that won't let me bring in parts. The ones I deal with are glad that they don't have to bother finding them for me. But glad you got it sorted out!

Originally Posted By: Bronco1
It was time for new shocks and struts for the F150 and I decided to splurge on some Bilstiens. The best price I found was Tire Rack. My usual garage wouldn't handle a job with parts that the customer brings so, I decided to try the Tire Rack recommended installer. The order arrived in a reasonable time and I scheduled the install. About an hour and a half after I dropped it off, I receive a call from the installer saying that the Bilstien struts saying that they didn't come with spring plates attached. They had never seen any like this. They would install the rears but weren't sure what to do. I had to call Tire Rack customer service, who had to call hardware support. After 20 minutes, Tire Rack called back to say that that they were supposed to remove the old plates and install them on the new ones. The installer reluctantly agreed to do it, at my peril.

This was the "recommended installer". What would have happened if I had just picked anybody off the list? For me, I won't order anything from Tire Rack that I can't install myself. I suggest Tire Rack vet their installers a bit better.
crazy2.gif

Bilstien is top of the line. Unusual for them not to provide all the parts. Maybe someone on the warehouse staff needed a set of spring plates cheap.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
I tend to stay away from shops that won't let me bring in parts. The ones I deal with are glad that they don't have to bother finding them for me. But glad you got it sorted out!

I agree but the only downside is it gives the shop an excuse if the repair or part doesn't work. They blame the part and you have to start all over again for the same repair. So kind of a gamble sometimes. There was a guy on here that did that with a Kia and supplying some parts to a dealer, big mess to save a few bucks.

Quote:
E4-WM5-Y294A00
MOUNTING INSTRUCTION

Parts supplied by Bilstein:
M10 lock nut
Steel spacer
Rubber sleeve
Cap
Spring seat holder

Original parts to be re-used:
Upper mount (with isolator and dust cover)
Bump stop
Coil spring
Spring seat

How do you like those Bilstiens? I found the fronts a little too sporty, as in my dashcam was always recording 'events' from the jarring. The roads here are not that bad, running a 70 series tire and they still were just plain harsh.

04 2wd F150 SCREW

Originally Posted By: Taildragger
How do you like those Bilstiens?

If you put the e before the i, they ride much better....

Originally Posted By: stevejones
How do you like those Bilstiens?

Just like the OP ?
wink.gif

Bilsteins are my default choice 99% of the time. I even installed them on my TJ.

That's the kind stuff I would do at an offroad shop or more advanced shop. They have the necessary tools to do strut coil swaps, especially with truck struts.

I installed Bilstein 5100's leveling shocks/struts on the 01 Tundra. Local offroad shop said they can't do it due to backlog of work. I used the spring compressor rent-a-tool at the parts store. Coils were too big so the locking pins can't engage. Crossed my fingers hoping nothing goes wrong as I used an electric impact to compress the truck spring.

I would never do it again.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
I tend to stay away from shops that won't let me bring in parts. The ones I deal with are glad that they don't have to bother finding them for me.

Life is funny. A shop I very regularly go to didn't like me bringing in parts when the dad was running it. More accurately, he wouldn't give me the labour deal he normally would. When the son took over, he preferred if I brought stuff in, particularly when I had the old Audi or anything else that might be a little more confusing/problematic for them to get parts.

How do you like those Bilstiens? I found the fronts a little too sporty, as in my dashcam was always recording 'events' from the jarring. The roads here are not that bad, running a 70 series tire and they still were just plain harsh.

04 2wd F150 SCREW

So far, so good. I'm holding off final judgement until I tow with them. I live up in the Colorado Rockies and we have a mix of paved and dirt roads. Sometimes the dirt is smoother than the pavement. While they are firm, it isn't unreasonably so and they have improved the handling with my winter load of gravel in the bed (350 lbs of gravel over the rear wheels for winter traction).

Originally Posted By: stevejones

What happened to the i before e except after c rule ? Example: "Received"
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back