Why change oil filter every oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't. I leave them on twice. The owner's manual for my '76 PB100 even says to do that, so it's not new thinking.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Originally Posted By: steveh
http://www.fram.com/media/62425/2015_FramWarranty_EN.pdf. Because you are only covered by the filter warranty for your OEM OCI.

As I read that warranty, they will cover unlimited shelf on your filter + 1 yr/OCI additional use. 10 years?

From the link:
"FRAM® hard parts (filters and hard parts are collectively referred to as, “Products”) are warranted to their original purchaser to be free from defects in material and workmanship for one (1) year from the later of the date of purchase or the date of installation."

Yeah, hard for me believe they would cover a filter that's been sitting in a garage and not stored in ideal conditions.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Does anyone get new tires when the old ones still have life?

Yes, I change them when hydroplaning becomes noticeable. This is well before the end of life for those of us who live anywhere where it often rains. Personally I would rather not risk noticing a problem with an oil filter before changing it.

Why do you (hopefully) change your shorts after a shower? Because it's what you do! Same reason I change my filter every OC, it's what I do! Haha

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The ones who remove the oil filter,drain it,and reinstall it. How do you do that without damaging the case? Plus doesn't oil drain all over the filter,making it too slippery to be able to reinstall and properly tighten it,even if you clean it up really well? That just seems like a huge pita to me.
Avoiding damaging the case is very easy, if it wasn't overtightened. I do admit I once ruined a filter I'd planned to reuse, by whacking it on the dome end too hard. That distorted the internal leaf spring, causing the internal components to be loose enough to rattle when shaken. (I hit them that way so air could enter through the anti-drainback valve, to allow more used oil to drain out.)

Avoiding spilling oil "all over the filter, making it too slippery" was also easy.

Those who think they will get 100% of the oil out of the crankcase if you change your filter are fooling themselves. A significant amount of old oil is left over, whether you change the filter or not.

An oil change w/o having to do the filter is so much easier. So 2 OCI's on a top quality filter makes sense to me. If your oil is not really that dirty, that filter may actually be more efficient the 2nd time around that it is on the 1st.

You are correct! Thats another reason I change the filter at 2 OCI's. Higher efficiency is gained.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
In theory, an oil filter should have finer filtration the longer its in use. Having said that I change mine with each change. I don't want to forget which car as the new filter and which is on its second run.

I change oil at 5000 mile interval, and the filters at 10,000 miles. Round numbers are easy to remember, 50,000, 60,000, etc.

use fully synthetic oil and do 12k miles on it and change both oil and filter at the same time.

Good example - the Hankooks Ford blessed me with ... even at low mileage I rolled them to the curb ...

A $5 oil filter is not a $400+ set of tires. People extend the oil filters way out then have a stash of 30 in the garage and are looking to buy more. They come and read about oil filters every day and change one filter every two years. So criticism can go both ways.

Take 2 vehicles that cover 15k miles:

Vehicle 1: Superior synthetic oil, extended service filter, 15k mile OCI

Vehicle 2: Different oil, extended service filter, two 7.5k mile OCIs on one filter

How does one figure that the second vehicle is going to be at any more risk, or be any "dirtier" than the first one?

Doing multiple OCIs on a single filter is the same thing as an extended OCI, except with more new oil.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Those who think they will get 100% of the oil out of the crankcase if you change your filter are fooling themselves. A significant amount of old oil is left over, whether you change the filter or not.

Didn't see anyone in this thread claiming such a thing.

Didn't see anyone in this thread claiming such a thing.

Several posts were about dirty bath water, dirty shorts, etc. They were inferring that the oil left over in the filter is dirty. It is old, but it is a half quart or less, and more old oil is left throughout the engine, even if you drained until drips stop. Always.

Several posts were about dirty bath water, dirty shorts, etc. They were inferring that the oil left over in the filter is dirty. It is old, but it is a half quart or less, and more old oil is left throughout the engine, even if you drained until drips stop. Always.
Yes, and furthermore, the old oil in the filter is not any "dirtier" than the oil trapped elsewhere in the engine. The amount trapped in an unchanged filter was about 1 quart on the large filters common on 60s American cars. Toyota claims only 0.3 quart for the itty-bitty cartridge of my present car. Most others (excluding large diesels) are in between. You can reduce that volume by removing and partially draining the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back