FRAM PH3614 C&P 3 Year Continuous Oil Change

2006 3.8L Dodge Caravan. When you burn this much oil why bother changing it? So they just added oil for a little over 3 years. Engine run low on oil often as well. As in lifter clatter nothing on the dipstick low. Around 280K on it and did I mention they do not really care at this point? :rolleyes:

Aside of draining the oil from the filter this is one of two reasons I cut them open: See if the filter went the distance and if you can read part numbers in the filter media. I would call this part numbers. IMO this engine doesn't have much left before failure.

magnetic part numbers.jpg

The debris caught in the ADV to filter cartage sealing point indicates how much that area leaks. IMO the filter is clogged and in bypass so internal leaks don't really matter. At 3 years old all bets are off. At least the media didn't tear.

IMG_3577.JPG

IMG_3578.JPG

IMG_3565.JPG

Yeah, Sludge... A good bet this filter is clogged.

IMG_3567.JPG

IMG_3569.JPG

IMG_3574.JPG

Last edited:
got your monies worth out of that filter.
I didn't realize the extra guard was an extended drain filter who would have thought !

2006 3.8L Dodge Caravan. When you burn this much oil why bother changing it? So they just added oil for a little over 3 years. Engine run low on oil often as well. As in lifter clatter nothing on the dipstick low. Around 280K on it and did I mention they do not really care at this point? :rolleyes:

Aside of draining the oil from the filter this is one of two reasons I cut them open: See if the filter went the distance and if you can read part numbers in the filter media. I would call this part numbers. IMO this engine doesn't have much left before failure.

View attachment 154700

The debris caught in the ADV to filter cartage sealing point indicates how much that area leaks. IMO the filter is clogged and in bypass so internal leaks don't really matter. At 3 years old all bets are off. At least the media didn't tear.

View attachment 154699

View attachment 154701

View attachment 154695

Yeah, Sludge... A good bet this filter is clogged.

View attachment 154696

View attachment 154697

View attachment 154698
Just wow! What oil and filter did you re install? Thank You

You take better pics than me 😍😍

I guess they saved on three years worth of oil changes for a down payment on their next vehicle.

Exactly this. It's a minivan in bad shape with 280K plus on it. Seriously who cares about a minivan that had whatever oil drinking problem defect from the factory other than point A to B? Oil change cost is technically a "Total Loss" expense. That's including it's weight at the scrapyard after the expense of getting it there. :D

They did, in fact, get another vehicle.

How is the engine doing- still running?

Yes it's about due for a 1 year oil change. I will see if he wants to swap oil filters on it.

@Kira and @Boomer Exactly correct on the surface. I posted only in the spirit of what this filter looked like after excessive service. No harm no foul: Not knowing the full situation, they are suffering extreme depression, it's different and beyond filter discussion. Note that several people are helping him "turn it around".

A Mopar Oil filter was installed and Factory spec "too thin" oil was put in. When he ran a thicker oil he says it turns black so don't want to do that despite advice that thicker oil has less oil consumption others have written about.

Last edited:
Those are some chunks! The debris in the metal can is the most I've ever seen posted here. Once an engine goes to drinking oil at a high rate thicker oil doesn't solve it or much make a difference. As you mentioned this engine has met its end. Getting 280k out of a Chrystler product is something to be proud of.

I use the same filter on a Ford Fusion, 6 month oil changes regardless of miles. I think a $4 filter is more than sufficient, at a reasonable drain interval.

Doesn't the presence of significant debris around the adbv indicate that the seal is functional? As you said it seems filter was in bypass.

Back