The smell of leather seats makes me sick

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me, there is a difference between the smell of real leather and leather in cars.
Two of our four cars have it, the van and the Mustang.
The reason that we have leather in any vehicle is thanks to Mrs. Tdbo.
I gave in on the Odyssey because the EX interior that year was positively putrid.
The Mustang is my car. I didn't want leather but ended up with it because I bought it year end, it was the only convertible left in the entire country in the color I wanted, optioned closely to what I wanted, and was such I good deal that I live with the leather.
There is such a small amount of leather in a car with leather seats that I smell no leather smell. It just smells like car smell to me.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Now that I think o it it's really only my brothers car, the other guys aren't really that bad. Maybe he has some kind of synthetic fake leather in his car?

On many Mercedes cars they have MB-tex which is really a vinyl that looks like leather. It's like an extra $1000+ for real leather. It's always funny when people complain about it because they expect real leather in a car that expensive.

Yep,a friend of mine had some expensive Mercedes thing and it had the cheapest most awful vinyl seats I'd ever seen.

I would pay a premium to NOT get leather.

I have one with real leather and fake leather. The real leather is much nicer. But you can't be that picky when buying used.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
What's your address???
6170705_ltt_u6p60290_pri_larg.jpg

As much as I hate quoting photos...

Those things are horrible! There's one of those in the spare work van I drive, I about gagged. It got moved to the very back of the van...

The smell aside, which disapates with age, being cold in the winter and scorching hot in the summer is the reason I would never have leather in a car.

My low-end Jaguar has the very best smelling leather ever. Even after all this time, it smells great. My Ford truck, not so much, smells like plastic.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
The smell aside, which disapates with age, being cold in the winter and scorching hot in the summer is the reason I would never have leather in a car.

There's always heated and cooled seats options. I have the heated seats in the Mercedes, they're fine in the winter. I've had cloth seats before. Not as easy to clean and you can end up with static electricity. Never an issue with leather.

I have 4 with leather ... it makes me sick that the smell is gone in all of them
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

I had a Kia K900 for a few days. Smelled awful inside. I don't know how they got "new car smell" so wrong, especially with all that leather inside.

Probably a glue or seam sealer smelling funky.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Smelled exactly like Crayons.

Lmao, we had a 2001 Jetta. Smelled like crayons on a hot summer day. Although we never had leather seats.

The infamous MK4 "crayon smell" is caused by the rustproofing that they used. Some '90s BMWs have the same smell.

That one is a very distinctive smell. It actually doesn't bother me much though.

Most leather doesn't bother me at all. The one exception would be Ford King Ranch pickups, at least early ones. Early 2000s models smelled like a ranch.

Originally Posted By: Lubener

That.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back