Want a good laugh? Auto Zone experience...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BobFout
Originally Posted By: silveravant
I wouldn't say never use a wrench to tighten an oil filter. The filter on my 1980 Rabbit diesel was required to be tightened with a torque wrench. I guess that the filters were vibrating loose causing oil loss and a blown engine.

Yep, I've torqued the filter housing on my 2003 Jetta. 25 Nm comes to mind.

My Honda bikes were 10 Nm, I guess they are worried about a leak right in line with the rear tire and 100 psi oil pressure at idle. Yes I used a cap and torque wrench.
I use the oil filter wrench the OP posted also, its a great tool.

Last edited:
Almost as bad s the time I bought a battery at WallyWorld and the sales person told me the posts were on the wrong ends, I turned the battery 180 degrees and asked him what was wrong now, he just took my money and gve me a receipt.

Humans invented tools for the reason that they're needed for some tasks, like oil filter removal.
We didn't invent tools to use for tasks where they're not needed, like oil filter installation.

Not everyone is the same. As a young lad I have hand-tightened many an oil filter. Over time, I found it convenient and easier to flip the strap wrench over to tighten the filter. The key is proper tightening, which for my cars is 3/4 to 1 turn beyond gasket contact.

As far as the OP, that looks like an excellent filter wrench to remove particularly stubborn oil filters. A good filter wrench to have if you're dealing with vehicles that had someone else do the last oil change. As noted, it's not an oil filter installation tool.

I often use a wrench for install simply because my hands are slimy and I can't grip the can otherwise.

This very tool is great on my 02 camry 4cyl where the filter is up in a recess and I can't get a strap on it.

Here's an example of an oil filter procedure that states to use the wrench to install the filter:

Last edited:
I always use a tool to tighten my oil filters. Every now and then I get them too tight but overall, it works for me. No plans to stop.

My local Autozone and Oreilly's are pretty good, with a good staff. Local Advance has some strange but usually helpful people. The Napa is here a joke, terrible customer service. They charge shipping on parts from the warehouse, take a week to get them and that's IF they even placed the order. I've had them not submit my orders 3 times. The last time I got very annoyed and they said it's because the new guy waited on me. OK, so that's totally my fault for thinking someone taking my order could log it into the system.

Sorry to rant. Back on topic. Neat oil filter wrench. I've only had to use my strap one a few times. As long as I have some grippy gloves on, I can get them off if I was the last one to touch it, which is usually the case.

Haha you can never win an argument with people like that. Just agree agree and go "Whoa! Forreal?? Thanks for letting me know!!".

When I can get a clear shot to hand tighten an oil filter, I'll do it. Nowadays everything I've got is 3.5 Ecoboost and to put the filter on them you have to break your arm in two places. Motorcraft specs 3/4 - 1 turn after gasket contact and to do that I've gotta use a filter wrench. Hopefully my next 'Boost will be the 2.7 where the filter is accessed from up top.

I have a cup wrench to snug many of our GM trucks in our fleet at work. I can't access enough of the filter to wrap my hand around it to tighten them. Due to the recess in the oil pan the domed end and maybe 90 degrees of the side is all you get.

The filter wrench the OP purchased is only designed for removal. Turning it CCW will cause the wrench to clamp down and CW it will only get wider so it is essentially "idiot proof".

As far as parts store employees, I take their opinion with a grain of salt. Last time I went into O'reilly, I took in a Fram Ultra cartridge filter to compare with a Wix and the first thing the counter guy did was tell me to throw the Fram away and buy a good filter. He turned to his computer to look up the Wix P/N and asked what it was for, a 2016 Prius I said and then his next question was, Prius? who makes that?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I often use a wrench for install simply because my hands are slimy and I can't grip the can otherwise.

This very tool is great on my 02 camry 4cyl where the filter is up in a recess and I can't get a strap on it.

I've been wanting to get this tool, or whatever cheapie it is in AZ. Same reason. I've managed so for with a strap wrench but it is a pain

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz

Autostoners. Priceless.

+1

I've actually walked out of a store a few times when employees tried to talk me out of buying certain products. I've never been in any other kind of store where the employees actually try and prevent you from spending money there. I simply tell them if they keep trying to prevent me from buying something then I'll spend money elsewhere. I don't need the annoyance. There are usually 5 other auto parts stores on the same street anyway.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I just would have said thanks, bought item and walked out of store.

This! The employees there are just flesh bags ringing up the sale and retrieving what part I have already researched my self by part number to retrieve from the back and ring up. In and out with minimal conversation engagement nor interrupting any other blowhard behind the counter or in front of it spewing whatever anecdotal or misconstrued nonsense they may think is correct.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I just would have said thanks, bought item and walked out of store.

This! The employees there are just flesh bags ringing up the sale and retrieving what part I have already researched my self by part number to retrieve from the back and ring up. In and out with minimal conversation engagement nor interrupting any other blowhard behind the counter or in front of it spewing whatever anecdotal or misconstrued nonsense they may think is correct.

Flesh bags? Who do you think you are, Winston Churchill? These folks are at least working instead of expecting a government hand-out. They get paid next to nothing with no benefits, what do you expect, trained NASCAR mechanics?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back