How do you keep bottom of mower deck clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you remove the deck after each use? How do you keep the grass clippings from accumulating on your rider? I understand you can use a blower but can't imagine that getting the clippings without deck removal? Getting a new mower so I want to take the best care possible. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Wax it when it's new, then hose it off after you use it. Keeping it stored in a shed or garage will help keep it from rotting away.,,

Wax won't really help. Think about a car going maybe 60mph, vs grass blades, sand, rocks going like 200mph. It may help for one light mow, but it's a waste of time.

I never had a problem, just cleaned it out by hand without tools every time I pulled the blade to sharpen it.

I've never cleaned the decks. Even when mowing with the 757 in wet grass it doesn't accumulate on the deck.

I use a wooden stake, stick or big paint stirrer, reach under and knock off the big clumps. It depends on your specific mowing and deck design as to how much will accumulate under there. I wouldn't recommend using water on it often to clean it.

I use a wooden stake, stick or big paint stirrer, reach under and knock off the big clumps. It depends on your specific mowing and deck design as to how much will accumulate under there. I wouldn't recommend using water on it often to clean it.

^ This.....and mow only when the grass is dry.

Originally Posted By: 2civics
Do you remove the deck after each use? How do you keep the grass clippings from accumulating on your rider? I understand you can use a blower but can't imagine that getting the clippings without deck removal? Getting a new mower so I want to take the best care possible. Thanks.

If you're getting the XT2 LX42" EFI, it already comes with their "SmartJet high-pressure deck washing system."

At the end of each season, I mow thru a lot of leaves. They scrub the deck bottom clean down to the metal.During the mowing season, nothing but stay away from wet grass. There's nothing you can put on the bottom to keep the grass from sticking. Tried everything.

I just use a leaf blower and let it blow off all the grass clippings and possible dust. Do it over the whole lawn mower and deck. Stay pretty clean doing that after every mow.

That is about as far as I go when cleaning and it stays relatively clean all year.

Granted there is still some residual coating inside the deck from grass, but I have never seen this as an issue.

Last edited:
When possible, we avoid mowing wet grass. Usually its just the difference of a few hours or at wprst, a day or two. Every so often ill tilt the mower up, knock off as much as I can, spray with 6-56 or fluid film, and call it a day.

Originally Posted By: 2civics

Blow it off. Unless you keep it outside, rust will never be an issue.

I only mow when the grass is dry. This will reduce the amount of clippings that stick to the deck. I then just scrape off any that accumulates every 2-3 mows. at the and of mowing season I scrape the deck off really well and spray it down with WD40 or Fluid Film.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Maybe pay attention to the deck metal. See how thick and solid it is. Maybe if it is heavier/denser like cast iron, it may resist rot, rust and decay.

I've never seen a deck made out of cast iron? Which ones are?

I have only seen welded steel, stamped steel, or cast aluminum.

I never gave it any thought. When it comes time for an oil change I knock the junk off and change the oil. It doesn't get cleaned again until the next oil change. No problems to report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back