Diesel oil in a gas truck....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some fleet operators of light to heavy trucks and some small passenger vehicles have a written instruction that forbids the use of oil additives that thicken the oil like Lucas and STP and it calls out Lucas, STP and many others by name. There are many.

Their contention is as described above by other members, is that it dilutes the oil and the additives and shortens the useful life of the oil. This can cause the oil to have trouble doing its job over the long run up to an oil change. These products can be used safely if you're talking dramatic physical damage because they are nothing but more viscous bright stock and in years past, maybe 50 years or more they worked or at least showed results if burning oil and smoking was the problem. They did nothing to improve lubrication at the working level down inside the engine. And they certainly did not prevent or fix a problem.

Use a current oil of your choice. There are many good choices and let the oil work as designed. The people that formulated the oil are better at that they you or I.

Originally Posted By: faltic
My truck at work a 2000 GMC 5.3 214K miles refused to make steady oil pressure monday morning first start. It has been noisy on first start of the day since I started driving it seven years ago with 157K on it. Took it over to vehicle maintenance shop, they drained the oil and put in 15W40 shes much quieter on start now and holds about 20 to 25 psi at idle. Good for another 100K LOL

Mine started doing this and over time the oil pressure got less and less. To a point when cold the pressue wouldn't move until engine and oil were fully warm. I changed the o-ring on the oil pump pick up and now i have awesome pressue always and my engine run quite and smoother than ever. 416,000 kms now.

Originally Posted By: faltic
My truck at work a 2000 GMC 5.3 214K miles refused to make steady oil pressure monday morning first start.

Change the o-ring on the oil pump pick up!!!!
DO IT NOW!!
Do not drive it anymore until you do!

I have to ask the OP ...
What is the goal you're trying to achieve here?

Are you trying to stop the lifter/piston noise? If so, is the noise prevalent at all times, only at start up, for a short duration after start up, or what???

What makes you think that a thicker engine oil will succeed where the Lucas didn't? I am not a big fan of additives generally, with only a few niche exceptions, and this isn't one of them. Here, the use of Lucas making your oil into a near-syrup product didn't solve whatever issue you're trying to avoid, and so your quest now is to make an already-thickened-lube even thicker by using 15w-40 with the Lucas?
1) Ditch the Lucas
2) pick any decent API lube you want to use; I highly suspect it's not going to make much difference overall.

I don't follow the Vortec 6.0L engine much, but they are legandary in terms of power-producing motors when modded. Just because it makes noise (presumably in stock form) does not mean it's on death's door. You mention that the noise is a known factor for that engine series, but does that mean it's about to die? I ask because I'm not imminently familiar with that engine. IOW - when they make noise, it is a signal for impending failure, or just an annoyance? Certain engine families have known noises that can be a signal for failure, or just a bother. Slapping timing chains are generally a bad deal. Etc ...

You ask if there is any benefit or detriment to using the HDEO. Not really in either manner. Any HDEO that is spark-rated is going to be fine to use. Generally an HDEO will have a bit better HTHS and/or higher TBN and cleaning agents, due to the concern for the diesel engine process. But those "benefits" don't necessarily translate into an assurance of "more" or "better" success in terms of a gasser. Unless you plan on greatly extending your OCIs, a higher TBN or greater detergent package isn't likely to gain you much. So while not harmful, I doubt it would be tangibly helpful, either. An example would be the HTHS effect. Say for example you use 10w-40, and the engine noise goes away right after an OCI, but then returns after 3k miles after lube shearing, then you would have three choices:
a) endure it and finish the OCI plan
b) OCI more often
c) pick a lube with greater HTHS factor, so that the shearing does not happen as soon
In this example, perhaps an HDEO with higher HTHS might make it to 5k miles, where the 10w-40 was thinning out sooner. So here, a 15w-40 HDEO might warrant the experiment. However, if the noise is present at all times, regardless of OCI factor or grade factor, then the HDEO is likely to do nothing to alter the problem. And let's not forget you already use the Lucas, so it's pretty darn thick already! How much "thicker" do you think the oil needs to be? And, is it possible that the oil is too thick? Perhaps the vis is actually limiting the lube from properly flowing into the lifters and the desired rate? I don't know this to be true, but it's not more unlikely than any other guess. For that matter, have you tried THINNING the lube; try using a 5w-30? Does the noise get "better" one way or the other? Don't judge it yourself; get a panel of friends to help you. What you hear may not be what others hear.

There is nothing wrong with trying something; go for it! But first establish a known baseline (UOAs, etc) and then when you change a variable, you can track if it truly made a difference as opposed to "feeling" your way through this. Admittedly, noises don't show up on a UOA report; we know that. But you get the point, I hope. If you're going to change, don't just do it for the sake of change. Do it with some manner of trying to establish a goal/direction, and then find a measurement method that helps discern any positive shift if present.

As a side note, if it's piston slap you're hearing, then no lube is going to greatly affect that. There are some engines that have forged Al pistons, and I have no idea of your engine is one of them. But if it is, know that the thermal expansion rate of the piston relative to the cast iron of the block is different, and piston slap is a not uncommon (and completely harmless) effect and will go away as the engine warms up. I had two first-gen Tundra 4.7L trucks many years ago. The first engine never made any noise; quiet as a mouse. The second truck had terrible piston slap until about 5 minutes of warm up, then it quieted down. Two nearly identical trucks with same engine series; two different results. No amount of oil tampering made the ticking go away; it just had to warm up and stabilize the metallurgy of the components and everything was fine. IF this is the condition you're experiencing, you're chasing your tail.

My long-winded point is this:
a lube change may or may not have the effect you seek, but it's likely not harmful to try. Just don't get disappointed if it does not happen; it's a gamble.

As for your other questions (diffs and tranny fluids) ...
*Diff - presume you'll have the infamous G-80 gov-locker rear. Just use any GL-5 fluid that has a L/S friction modifier in it. Despite the significantly present ignorance that it's a "locker", it is in fact actually a clutch-driven limited slip unit that operates as a L/S, with the added feature of creating a greater clamping effect on the clutch pack when excessive slippage is present. Hence, it has clutches EXACTLY like any typical L/S unit. It needs FM to avoid chatter and nusance locking events.
*Tranny - 4L80E is a good tranny that just needs basic Dex/Merc type fluids. Any dino or syn that's targeted to this type application will work. Dexron III and Mercon are no longer licensed products, but the aftermarket makes good alternatives in many forms. If you want a long service life from the fluid, I'd recommend any syn version. (I like the Maxlife ATF from Valvoline, but by no means are you limited to this choice).
*X-fer case? You didn't mention, but if 4x4, then use a good syn ATF in the t-case. Easy to drain/fill with the plugs. The syn ATF will resist the effect of heat evaporation known to affect these units at times. Using a conventional ATF is fine, but you'll have to check fluid levels more often. As these units often become a "fill and forget" service factor, the syn gives a safety margin for those who are not as diligent about fluid maintenance as they should be.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JR
Maxlife 15w-40 in the summer sounds good. Any hdeo 10w-30 would be a good spring to fall oil also.
My neighbor has a 94 4.0, we have VPB 10w30 and mmo.
My 90 2.5 has only seen sae30 or 15w-40/sae40 blend., it is rearly used and preheated if used.

harvey
i live in SoCal so the weather is the same year round.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I have to ask the OP ...
What is the goal you're trying to achieve here?

Are you trying to stop the lifter/piston noise? If so, is the noise prevalent at all times, only at start up, for a short duration after start up, or what???

What makes you think that a thicker engine oil will succeed where the Lucas didn't? I am not a big fan of additives generally, with only a few niche exceptions, and this isn't one of them. Here, the use of Lucas making your oil into a near-syrup product didn't solve whatever issue you're trying to avoid, and so your quest now is to make an already-thickened-lube even thicker by using 15w-40 with the Lucas?
1) Ditch the Lucas
2) pick any decent API lube you want to use; I highly suspect it's not going to make much difference overall.

I don't follow the Vortec 6.0L engine much, but they are legandary in terms of power-producing motors when modded. Just because it makes noise (presumably in stock form) does not mean it's on death's door. You mention that the noise is a known factor for that engine series, but does that mean it's about to die? I ask because I'm not imminently familiar with that engine. IOW - when they make noise, it is a signal for impending failure, or just an annoyance? Certain engine families have known noises that can be a signal for failure, or just a bother. Slapping timing chains are generally a bad deal. Etc ...

You ask if there is any benefit or detriment to using the HDEO. Not really in either manner. Any HDEO that is spark-rated is going to be fine to use. Generally an HDEO will have a bit better HTHS and/or higher TBN and cleaning agents, due to the concern for the diesel engine process. But those "benefits" don't necessarily translate into an assurance of "more" or "better" success in terms of a gasser. Unless you plan on greatly extending your OCIs, a higher TBN or greater detergent package isn't likely to gain you much. So while not harmful, I doubt it would be tangibly helpful, either. An example would be the HTHS effect. Say for example you use 10w-40, and the engine noise goes away right after an OCI, but then returns after 3k miles after lube shearing, then you would have three choices:
a) endure it and finish the OCI plan
b) OCI more often
c) pick a lube with greater HTHS factor, so that the shearing does not happen as soon
In this example, perhaps an HDEO with higher HTHS might make it to 5k miles, where the 10w-40 was thinning out sooner. So here, a 15w-40 HDEO might warrant the experiment. However, if the noise is present at all times, regardless of OCI factor or grade factor, then the HDEO is likely to do nothing to alter the problem. And let's not forget you already use the Lucas, so it's pretty darn thick already! How much "thicker" do you think the oil needs to be? And, is it possible that the oil is too thick? Perhaps the vis is actually limiting the lube from properly flowing into the lifters and the desired rate? I don't know this to be true, but it's not more unlikely than any other guess. For that matter, have you tried THINNING the lube; try using a 5w-30? Does the noise get "better" one way or the other? Don't judge it yourself; get a panel of friends to help you. What you hear may not be what others hear.

There is nothing wrong with trying something; go for it! But first establish a known baseline (UOAs, etc) and then when you change a variable, you can track if it truly made a difference as opposed to "feeling" your way through this. Admittedly, noises don't show up on a UOA report; we know that. But you get the point, I hope. If you're going to change, don't just do it for the sake of change. Do it with some manner of trying to establish a goal/direction, and then find a measurement method that helps discern any positive shift if present.

As a side note, if it's piston slap you're hearing, then no lube is going to greatly affect that. There are some engines that have forged Al pistons, and I have no idea of your engine is one of them. But if it is, know that the thermal expansion rate of the piston relative to the cast iron of the block is different, and piston slap is a not uncommon (and completely harmless) effect and will go away as the engine warms up. I had two first-gen Tundra 4.7L trucks many years ago. The first engine never made any noise; quiet as a mouse. The second truck had terrible piston slap until about 5 minutes of warm up, then it quieted down. Two nearly identical trucks with same engine series; two different results. No amount of oil tampering made the ticking go away; it just had to warm up and stabilize the metallurgy of the components and everything was fine. IF this is the condition you're experiencing, you're chasing your tail.

My long-winded point is this:
a lube change may or may not have the effect you seek, but it's likely not harmful to try. Just don't get disappointed if it does not happen; it's a gamble.

As for your other questions (diffs and tranny fluids) ...
*Diff - presume you'll have the infamous G-80 gov-locker rear. Just use any GL-5 fluid that has a L/S friction modifier in it. Despite the significantly present ignorance that it's a "locker", it is in fact actually a clutch-driven limited slip unit that operates as a L/S, with the added feature of creating a greater clamping effect on the clutch pack when excessive slippage is present. Hence, it has clutches EXACTLY like any typical L/S unit. It needs FM to avoid chatter and nusance locking events.
*Tranny - 4L80E is a good tranny that just needs basic Dex/Merc type fluids. Any dino or syn that's targeted to this type application will work. Dexron III and Mercon are no longer licensed products, but the aftermarket makes good alternatives in many forms. If you want a long service life from the fluid, I'd recommend any syn version. (I like the Maxlife ATF from Valvoline, but by no means are you limited to this choice).
*X-fer case? You didn't mention, but if 4x4, then use a good syn ATF in the t-case. Easy to drain/fill with the plugs. The syn ATF will resist the effect of heat evaporation known to affect these units at times. Using a conventional ATF is fine, but you'll have to check fluid levels more often. As these units often become a "fill and forget" service factor, the syn gives a safety margin for those who are not as diligent about fluid maintenance as they should be.

Thank you for the detailed response. The noise is more of a nuisance at this point not a sign of imitate detonation. If was a sign of imitate death then its been on deaths doorstep since 80,000 and im at 189,000 LOL
eek.gif
. So i think on my next oil change ill the the DELO a shot. As fro the rear diff ive seem some say you need to add a LS additive and some say you don't....

I have not used any HDEO in my 6.0 (LQ4) yet.
After my PUP 0W-40 stash is used up (two years worth to go, Autozone score) , I'll be running a HDEO 10W-30/5w-40 in it.

My engine no longer ticks/knocks at start up - it currently has 140k miles on it.
Found out I had an oil pump issue where the bypass valve was sticking in its bore.

When it did tick , prior to oil pump replacement - I had good results with Castrol HM 5W-30.

If you use the Amsoil Severe Gear oil for your rear diff - you will not need a L/S additive.

YMMV

Last edited:
To clarify the diff fluid topic, let me be more specific.

The GM RPO G-80 "Gov-Lok" (jokingly referred to as the Gov-Bomb for it's propensity to explode under duress) is made by Eaton. It has friction clutches in it and it NEEDS friction modifier to properly operate.

There is a GM statement from many years ago stating not to add FM to the fluid. That is because GMs fluid (and many others like Mobil 1, Synpower, Severe Gear) already has FM additive in the bottle. GM says to not "add" FM because too much can be a bad thing, just like too little can be a bad thing. People began to interpret that improperly, claiming that there was no need to have L/S additive in the fluid. THAT IS WRONG! GM was informing folks not to add FM to their fluid because their fluid spec 9986115 calls for a syn 75w-90 GL-5 lube with FM added to it, for the purpose of selling quart bottles at the parts counter. You do not want to add FM to their GM product that already has FM in it, or any other brand for that matter. But rest assured, it needs FM to operate properly.

If you buy a GL-5 lube that does not have FM in it, you'll want to add about 4oz to start with to the rear diff after filling with the lube. Then drive it around in figure-8 circles several times to work the fluid into the lube and clutches. If it still chirps or chatters, then add another oz and repeat. Do again if necessary. The point is to work your way up to the right amount. Don't over-dose the FM because once in there, you'd have to dump the lube and start over if you had too much. Too much FM causes the clutches to slip too easily; it won't grip.

Also, it is not unheard of to use a product with FM already in the bottle (like Severe Gear, Mobil 1, Synpower) and perhaps need to add a small touch of additional FM, if you have some chatter or nuisance locking events. My close friend changed his GM diff lube with Severe Gear, and his chattered after service. After adding an ounce, it completely went away. It can be that sensitive at times.

Boil it down to this:
GL-5 with FM in the bottle - only add 1 oz at a time, if needed at all, until correct performance is achieved.
GL-5 with no FM in the bottle - start by adding 4oz, then 1oz additionally each time, until performance is correct.

If someone tells you emphatically that there is no need to use FM in the G-80 Gov-Lok, they are ignorant of the equipment design and function, and you should run, not walk, away.

Last edited:
Generally oils with high moly content will quiet a motor. Something like a 10w30 JD Plus 50 or Shaeffers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back