Recommend brake fluid for an 02 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
4sp Automatic with Inline 4. Front discs, rear drums.

Want to flush out the old stuff and fill with fresh fluid. Brake pedal is spongey.

Gonna replace the rear drums at the same time. Just did the front rotors and pads. (Duralast Gold)

I have the same car and spongey brakes are "just how they are". Google it.

If you find something better, I'd like to know!

I put WM DOT 3 in there.

Anything fresh is better than what has probably been in it for many moons. If the brake pedal is spongy, lets hope its because of air instead of something serious like a bad master cylinder. I'd use SuperTech DOT 3 brake fluid or Valvoline synthetic DOT 4 brake fluid. Those are both available at War-Mart and cheaper than what auto parts stores charge.

FWIW I put a new MC in mine and it didn't help. (Non-ABS)

Shoes are tight and it got new front premium pads & rotors.

I will probably try the Valvoline.

I heard that water in the system can produce spongey brakes too. I bled the system some when I did the pads & rotors in the front as I also replaced the front calipers. But it didnt change the same spongey feel.

My brother has an 03 Camery (his is an 03 XLE while mine is an 02 LE) and his brakes dont fell spongey. I didnt know this was "normal" for these vehicles. Good to know Im not the only one.

I put Duralast Gold coated rotors and ceramic pads on the front last month.

I actually stuck rear hoses on mine, too. They were like $4 from rockauto and I needed to do the adjoining stubs of metal brake line as well.

I have *another* 2002 4 cyl camry but with rear discs and ABS and they aren't quite as dead feeling.

From my understanding you can use DOT4 where it's asking DOT3. DOT4 is backward compatible with DOT3 and better.

It may be possible to covert the rear to discs, which will be much easier to service in the future.

Even the cheapest DOT3 at Walmart is fine as long as you change it regularly (every few years, or every time you replace the pads and/or rotors), but more premium brake fluids with their higher boiling points give you a little extra margin of safety and performance. The LV fluids out there also make the ABS work better, especially when it's cold.

Castrol brake fluid (formerly called LMA) is supposed to absorb moisture more slowly, which of course will give you longer life between fluid changes. Hard to find in stores (it used to be more readily available but no more), but easy to find online. Lower viscosity than standard brake fluids, but not quite an LV. Part number 12614. Dry boiling point 509, wet 329.

Valvoline brake fluid is usually a decent price and widely available. It is labeled as both DOT 3 and DOT 4.

You can also use DOT 5.1 NON-silicone (but NOT DOT 5 silicone) Wagner Severe Duty is the cheapest DOT 5.1 out there, part number FC133301. Dry boiling point 500, wet 356.

Speed bleeders are awesome
smile.gif

I prefer to use Valvoline DOT4 on non-ABS cars and Pentosin DOT4LV on cars that have ABS. I think I pay about $10 for Valvoline DOT4 and $15 for Pentosin DOT4LV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back