Is this Vinyl siding crack dangerous?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I noticed this crack on my external vinyl siding on one of the wall.

It's less than 6 inches long, I guess? Is this dangerous or no need to worry about it? Thanks for the help
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Rand
Dangerous, like you might have to do something besides post 600times on bitog in 6 weeks?

But seriously, no. If you are worried about it they make siding "repair" tape.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Intertape-Pol...99688/206300616

Thanks, I appreciate it. I LOVE this forum
thumbsup2.gif

I'll check it out tomorrow but black color won't work since I have HOA and they'll question it
frown.gif

I am at 601 now
wink.gif

Use the tape for now and get a quart or color matching paint and paint it. It'll pass a 20 foot view test.

Or fill the hole with some caulk.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Dangerous, like you might have to do something besides post 600times on bitog in 6 weeks?

Hahahaha

Last edited:
You could cut a small chunk out of the vinyl and take it to try to match paint to cover the repair. If that siding is still made, you might be able to get a couple of pieces and repair it.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
White caulk and plastic putty knife ?

+1 Easy fix.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Stay away from that thing, it is very dangerous and someone might get hurt!

Come on, don't be silly! I would, however, worry that homeless people may try to live in a crack that large. I think they call it a 'crack house'?

What's the exposure? If rained upon will lots of water get behind it?

Other than being unsightly, Id be concerned about water getting behind, especially if its on the north side of the house.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Use the tape for now and get a quart or color matching paint and paint it. It'll pass a 20 foot view test.

Or fill the hole with some caulk.

Thanks very much for your help. I have filled it up well with an exterior caulk and might color match down the road or leave it as -is since it's very small.

Originally Posted By: rubberchicken
You could cut a small chunk out of the vinyl and take it to try to match paint to cover the repair. If that siding is still made, you might be able to get a couple of pieces and repair it.

That's also a good suggestion, yeah I have a small piece and will go to HD to see if they can color match for an exterior paint. After caulk is dried up, will paint that area.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
White caulk and plastic putty knife ?

Appreciate your help, did it just now. In fact, used white caulk.

Originally Posted By: emmett442
I'd be less concerned about the crack and more concerned about the lack of flashing at the deck!

Lol, I actually used zoom feature and it was bright/sunny outside, hence seems like no flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back