need advice on drain under driveway

i need to replace a drain that runs under my gravel driveway. my question is, I've heard that 4-inch corrugated drainpipe if installed correctly is better than smooth wall pvc schedule 40. being that the schedule 40 doesn't give and more prone to crack or split where the corrugated will give with driving over it and freeze thaw cycles.. thaoughts ? thanks in advance

i need to replace a drain that runs under my gravel driveway. my question is, I've heard that 4-inch corrugated drainpipe if installed correctly is better than smooth wall pvc schedule 40. being that the schedule 40 doesn't give and more prone to crack or split where the corrugated will give with driving over it and freeze thaw cycles.. thaoughts ? thanks in advance
Both will crush under a driveway. I now have crushed and broken thinwall under a sidewalk.

Is there a different routing for the drain? If not use heavier pipe or a method that will hold up to even a loaded truck (assuming truck might be on your driveway of course)

Oh boy, what a rabbit hole of a question this is! (I did a Google search). "if installed correctly" requires us to have more information. We might be picturing something entirely different than your needs/concerns. Pennsylvania with frost heave?? How much cover over the pipe??? At some point we might be discussing a culvert, not a drain pipe? It seems that both work "if installed correctly" and there are pros and cons to consider.

Please share more information. EDIT: have you tried water jetting it for clearing? FYI, I do have some experience with this managing my workplace grounds - I avoid under ground drainage as much as possible.

Last edited:
clogged solid with dirt and whatever else, tried to clear it but basically wasting my time
I'd remove the Old Pipe and check it's condition . Maybe you could reuse it after it's cleaned out .
What type of pipe is it ?
A picture would help too

I haven’t heard of a drain needed for a gravel driveway.

If there is excess water coming from other places then figure out a way to reroute the water. Normal rainfall shouldn’t flood a gravel driveway unless it wasn’t done properly.

For a gravel driveway I wouldn’t worry much. It’s gravel and you can dig it up. Not that you want to…. But you can.

When we redid our driveway with pavers I ran schedule 40 down the center, and just one section crosses where vehicles are. I made sure to add access ports so I could check on it “just in case”. It’s only a gravity gutter drain system so it doesn’t matter too much unless it collapses completely.

Main thing I guess is how deep will it be buried?

there is a spring that is basically at the bottom of my driveway ,coming out of s stone wall , that section where the water comes out of the over flow from the spring is where it runs into a catch basin then into the now clogged pipe , when i moved here 30+ years ago it flowed fine never had any problems with flooding , being it's now clogged and possibly crushed in sections it needs replaced...I can't dig by hand anymore being I'm 68 and my back isn't in great shape ..I have to get a local contractor to at least dig up the old pipe and I'm not sure how deep it really is, my guess is maybe 2 feet but not 100% sure. sorry but I have no way to post pictures. The contractor is coming next week so I guess I'll leave it up to him as to the best thing to do...

Sewer lines in new construction commercial buildings is done with schedule 40 PVC.

I would use schedule 40 over corrugated tile. Backfill 2/3 of the trench with #8 stone then the rest with whatever you’re using for the rest of the driveway.

If you actually have to replace the pipe, I would go with smooth PVC. The gravel on your driveway with the weight of a vehicle will eventually damage the corrugated pipe which four inch pipe is not very thick and sediment will settle in the ridges of the corrugated pipe.

I’d put a 6” schedule 40 pipe in and be done with it. You could rent a mini excavator from Home Depot and do this yourself if you wanted. I have 6” and 4” running under my concrete driveway and so far, (6 years) it’s been fine.

That makes the situation clearer

Maybe a hydrovac truck could come in and clear the drain?
If the original pipe was put in over 30 years ago, it may be 4" cast iron drain pipe that is now full of rust/corrosion buildup. If plastic pipe, it may be cracked/collapsed. Being the OP is 68 y.o., a new PVC drain line installed correctly at the proper depth should outlast him. I'd be tempted to go with schedule 80 PVC, despite the much higher cost. There are also 4" fiberglass drain pipes available as a premium option.

Back