House main water line - what parts do I need / best parts to use ?

Brass 'knuckle' (shaped like letter S) on my side of the water meter corroded completely where is was attached to 50 year old galvanized pipe.

Water service is now back as I've repaired the brass section with new brass fittings on my side and want to abandon the old 3/4" galvanized pipe and install a new Schedule 80 pipe with a couple 90 degree turns that will connect on side of house where the galvanized pipe connects to a copper line (this is all outside). The new brass parts are a series short parts and threaded pipes with a 90-degree check valve and couple elbows with a compression collar over old galvanized pipe. No leaks for now but am on borrowed time as that old galvanized pipe is severely rusted on inside.

My plan was/is to use 1" grey pvc Schedule 80 but am unsure where/what other parts are best. Here is my shopping list and if you happen to know easier parts to use, please suggest away.

1. A 60 foot long Schedule 80 PVC (Lowes online appears to have 20 foot sections for under $30)
2. I need to connect the 1 inch pipe to my new 3/4 inch brass fitting 90-degree elbow at about a depth of 12 inches.
3. Two 90-degree elbows, one to make initial turn toward house exterior wall from a 40 foot long section off water meter, another to connect to copper (3/4) line.

What are best couplings to use and what is the easiest connector to do the final connection from the 1 inch pipe to the 3/4 inch copper line on exterior wall ?
Where the old galvanized line meets the exterior wall copper line, it gently bends into the ground and goes down under a concrete pad. My plan was to come up at level ground and make a rigid 90-degree connection from the 1 inch pipe with reducing compression collar for the 3/4 inch copper line.

Yah-Tah-Hey said:
Quarter turn ball valve.

That is already on exterior wall on the 3/4 inch copper line. The connections I am asking are below that, at soil level and at 8-12 inch depth.

You can also use a dielectric union to connect the 2 dissimilar metals (galvanize to copper). Definitely install a good quality 1/4 turn ball valve. Install it above ground inline, if you can.

BlueOvalFitter said:
Definitely install a good quality 1/4 turn ball valve. Install it above ground inline, if you can.

As mentioned, that is already on house wall, above connections I am inquiring about and it will remain there untouched by the new plan

PimTac said:
It’s always a good idea to install a shut off outside. Put in one of those ground boxes and you’re set.

I have two(2) shutoffs at water meter, one on city side and one on my side, both with full access. Asking about the "what happens on my side parts / best parts / what connections / what pipe / what elbows / what compression reducer coming off grey PVC into the 3/4 inch copper on wall

Back