Stochastic Pre-Ignition (SPI) recall on wifes car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got an email from Chevy stating that we have a Stochastic Pre-Ignition (SPI) Causing Cracked Piston recall.

Program Description:

Certain 2016 and 2017 model year Chevrolet Malibu vehicles equipped with a 1.5L LFV engine may have a pre-ignition condition that could cause piston damage. If this condition occurs, the vehicle may perform poorly and oil consumption could increase. In addition, a service engine light may illuminate indicating an engine misfire. If the condition is present, and the repair below is not completed before multiple pre-ignition events occur, a piston may be damaged and the engine may need to be repaired or replaced.

Repair Description:

Reprogram the Engine Control Module (ECM) and change the engine oil with ACDelco dexos 1 Full-Synthetic motor oil of the part number as indicated in the parts section. (In Canada use the exact Mobil 1 part number specified in the parts section). It is very important that only oil with the correct part number is used in this repair.

Interesting that they now require a synthetic oil for this engine because of this recall. And that only the oil with the correct part number be used. Why would that be?

And Darn it! I just did my own oil change oil with M1 EP. Now they want to drain it out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Why would that be?

2nd generation dexos1 is now coming online and incorporates a new SPI test. All approved oils will now be "full synthetic". Products such as MaxLife (which has carried dexos1 certification) will not meet the updated spec.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Why would that be?

2nd generation dexos1 is now coming online and incorporates a new SPI test. All approved oils will now be "full synthetic". Products such as MaxLife (which has carried dexos1 certification) will not meet the updated spec.

So from this we can assume that M1 meets the new DEXOS certification?

So from this we can assume that M1 meets the new DEXOS certification?

Since your letter specifically mentions M1 it must be so. But they didn't tell us which product.

I am only really familiar with the M1 5W30s, but I would guess that the whole line of EPs are low calcium. There has been a lot of discussion on the board about LSPI/SPI and its relation to oil chemistry and calcium content in particular...

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4306204/Infineum_on_Quenching_LSPI

I'm sure that GM is going to provide the oil for the recall, the big question is whether they are going to provide oil for future changes given that they are specifying only two oils for the recall.
I'm going to have to find out more about AC Delco FS if it is LSPI-resistant, hopefully it will be available in something like a 5W30. My car was also recalled for LSPI, but Subaru never made any oil recommendations...I started using low calcium M1 formulations even before the recall.

Assuming they're going to require blenders to get rid of the calcium additives & replace them with magnesium or similar? I've thought hard about pulling the trigger on an Ecoboost SUV (3.5 Expedition), but this tech just doesn't seem like it's quite there yet...

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Assuming they're going to require blenders to get rid of the calcium additives & replace them with magnesium or similar? I've thought hard about pulling the trigger on an Ecoboost SUV (3.5 Expedition), but this tech just doesn't seem like it's quite there yet...

GF6 is going to have an LSPI test like dexos1:2015...I think it's safe to assume lower calcium content is going to be common in oils with those certifications, but there seem to be a few other hooks. Infineum mentions that adding ZDDP and eliminating sodium help, while other studies have claimed that oil soluble moly compounds also help reduce LSPI. More ZDDP needs to be weighed against the issue of cat poisoning...
Not sure if I would have pulled the trigger on my DIT if I had known about all this LSPI stuff ahead of time, may have stuck with my original plan of picking up something with a 3.5l-ish NA V6...

Last edited:
I wonder what the reprogramming changes. It's unfortunate because i really like this vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back