Purolator is watching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
It sounds like the problem is still not fixed, after all these years.
Should I take my 4 boxes of PureOnes and trash them?

I trashed my stash. I would feel bad handing them off to someone.

Originally Posted By: CrAlt
Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
It sounds like the problem is still not fixed, after all these years.
Should I take my 4 boxes of PureOnes and trash them?

I trashed my stash. I would feel bad handing them off to someone.

Take them to a poor. outreach center. Many that go there cannot afford to buy a filter.

If I worked at Purolator and in charge of Product Dev - Oil filter media ... I probably wouldn't pay attn to this site. But maybe Marketing does? I've done Post Mortem on 2-3 Mann / Bosch filters and the issue IMO is weak media = ripe for tears. Why the media is weakening I can't comment.

But with respect to their brand - I won't be purchasing any more from Purolator / Bosch / Mann until I see evidence of change. It's not worth it to save $2 on a cheaper filter that may tear under normal service limits.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
43,000,000 Americans change their own oil. .1% would be 43,000 people, about the number of members of this board. (not counting for the international members)

Interesting stat. According to this article, 253 million cars and trucks were on American roads in 2014. 43 million oil changers would be a bit less than 20% of vehicle owners.

So, wait, what did i miss?

A few years ago i checked out the state of filters, determination was that PureOnes and Bosch filters were the good ones.

What happened? I just bought a bunch of their new blue PureOnes..... (and yes, Fram had fallen from on high and no one liked them at this time)

Originally Posted By: MaDMaXX
So, wait, what did i miss?

A few years ago i checked out the state of filters, determination was that PureOnes and Bosch filters were the good ones.

What happened? I just bought a bunch of their new blue PureOnes..... (and yes, Fram had fallen from on high and no one liked them at this time)

You missed some of the most failure prone filters this site has ever seen. There were so many different types of failure that were happening in Purolator produced trash it became comical. Failures are still happening too.

LoL ... you might want to check in more often then once every couple years.

Yeah, i have done more often, but not checking on filters. Busy few years
wink.gif

So, what's considered the go to filter instead? Are the newer produced blue purolators no better?

Yeah, i have done more often, but not checking on filters. Busy few years
wink.gif

So, what's considered the go to filter instead? Are the newer produced blue purolators no better?

Fram Ultra is the golden boy filter as of right now.

I still choose the TGs

All the synthetic media filters so far have a backing support of metal or plastic type mesh. Maybe Purolator put too much synthetic fiber in their mix. I notice a wide difference in the rigidity of media in different filters. Some can be torn by medium finger pressure, some can't. I imagine a 14 psi restriction with a high volume oil pump would stress a lot of medias. Seeing a new red Purolator with tears means they still don't accept the problem, to me anyway.

The title says, "Purolator is watching." Watching is one thing, doing something about it is another. From the looks of it they might be watching, but they aren't doing anything. They lost my business, not that they care. Fram OTOH, appears to care, KUDOS to them!

Out of the blended media herd - On M1's - found the media almost as hard to cut as the can - and that is a thick enough can for HiPo use. As someone who also uses Fram Ultra - that is not a thick can ...

I've changed from Bosch and Mann (from Purolator plant) over to Wix. I won't be going back until I've seen this properly addressed.

5 yrs ago it would have been UNBELIEVABLE to recommend Fram... The former orange can of death. Good for them to rescue the oil filter line... The favourable reports here have encouraged my use of them.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Perhaps all this bullbleep will drop the price on Puro filters and I can stock up.
You need some? Let me know what part numbers you need & maybe I can make you a deal-I have a BUNCH of them, white cans, Pure Ones, MCs, even a few Puro Synthetic ones.

Originally Posted By: NJC
I've changed from Bosch and Mann (from Purolator plant) over to Wix. I won't be going back until I've seen this properly addressed.

5 yrs ago it would have been UNBELIEVABLE to recommend Fram... The former orange can of death. Good for them to rescue the oil filter line... The favourable reports here have encouraged my use of them.
smile.gif

FRAM has done nothing to "rescue" their oil filter line. The only thing that has changed over the last five years are people's attitudes towards cardboard end caps. As a Canadian, my biggest objection towards FRAM products is the pricing. There is nothing in the OCOD that justifies its $7.75 Walmart price when I can go buy a Parts Master or ProSelect for less than half of that.

Sooo, i've got one persons saying Fram are great again, and another saying they're still made of cardboard...

I think the point there is that cardboard end caps may look and feel chintzy, but they don't seem to affect the filter's ability to do its job.

Personally I don't use the "OCOD," but that's because I think there are much better options available in that price range.

They're not cardboard, but I have the same concerns, as a Canadian, noted above. I don't need to spend $7.75 and up for an orange can when I can buy a Baldwin for significantly less than that. I paid $7.75 for my last Wix. Why would I pay that for an orange can? That's not Fram's fault, so much, as it is that of the retailers up here, but I'm simply not paying a bunch of money for their lowest tier filter.

I've said before here that Fram needs two tiers of filters (aside from racing ones). Keep the Ultra. Eliminate the HM. Take the orange can, throw the innards in the garbage, and take the silver can's innards, and put that in the orange can. You have the nostalgia and product recognition value of the orange can with a better build.

So let's say we're talking the US market here, what are the current top picks for people who liked the Purolators of a few years ago?

Does it need to be the ultra Fram? or does the TG work as a good equivalent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back