Can you recommend a grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an application where I have nylon gears running against metal gears, and I need to grease it with something. I was thinking of Sil-Glyde, but I was wondering if someone could recommend something better.

Its tough to determine if something is "better", because we don't have any good objective metric to compare these types of things. I have one John Deere application with plastic/metal interaction and they recommend Super Lube Synthetic grease. The Super Lube compatibility chart shows it "excellent" with nylon. I always warn people that Superlube Synthetic grease is NOT compatible with EPDM rubber, a common type in automotive use.

My unsubstantiated vote goes for Super Lube. I also had no apparent problems using it on plastic garage door gears.

Another tidbit of info is that Silglyde is NOT a silicone lubricant similar to Dow 111 or the 3M product. Sil Glyde is castor oil based grease with a smidgen of silicone. Still, its an excellent brake lube.

Thanks doitmyself on saying "..Superlube Synthetic grease is NOT compatible with EPDM rubber..".

I 'thought' it was akin to dielectric/silicone grease. I only ever purchased the pen with, I think, a 1/4 ounce.

Good thing I didnt purchase any and go crazy on all the rubber on the vehicles.

I 2nd superlube for this application. My experience with syl-glide has been that it will dry out if left out in the open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back