Argonne Lab Study Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Have been running Archoil 9100 which is supposed to be based on this research. Curious what you all think.

Study

Thanks,

The thing with studies is that the results are dependent on who pays for the study.

True...curious if the science seems solid. Not my area of expertise. I respect you all saying be careful of oil additives...have an oil change coming up and debating using it again. Appreciate any input.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link to the Argonne Study. I cannot comment on the Archoil product that you are using, but the use of boron to promote a more durable poly-borophosphate tribofilm is also reported in the SAE paper #2016-01-2276, affiliated with Toyota, so there is a good possibility that this technology has merit. If you read the abstract and preview of the SAE paper, you also get an idea of the complexity of the interactions between different antiwear and antifriction additives. This is why I do not use any after market additives with fully formulated motor oil.

Thanks so much Unclepeco and compatio10_5. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

Consider this:

Suppose I have an OTC product that I am advertising and it has a very small amount of organic phosphate or a borophosphate (BPO4) but it is 99% Group II or Group III oils.

In my advertising I reference this study.

Now would not this innuendo impress you?

BTW, this is simply a report of initial studies and the language is leading heavily toward future optimization and validation.

Last edited:
Thanks Molakule. Appreciate your expertise. I got the impression that the oil acted like a carrier for the Potassium Borates, Hexigonal Borates, etc. The carrier oil delivery is probably cheap group I or II. They apparently have a jet milling process that manufacturers the nano size elements. For the record, I am planning on not running next OCI. Perhaps it is snake oil but 6.0 powerstrokes love it for Stiction during cold starts. What is in it that is helping with that? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back