fight over a $500 mailbox ends in court

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CKN

Obviously, there are those who abuse the intent of an HOA on both sides. However, the reasons you mentioned are why HOA's exist.

There is absolutely-zero accounting for taste and the consideration of others with some people. I wouldn't want someone doing a trans flush in close proximity to my condo/town home.

Sorry dudes.

Yes, there are city codes for enforcing flagrant violations-but an HOA can enforce them much more quickly than a city can.

No one can rationalize why they SHOULDN'T EXIST-until we have a perfect world. And then-who's definition do we use?

I respectfully disagree. It makes no sense to find an ATF flush repulsive... With your way of thinking, mowing, home repair etc. should also not be allowed.

Stuff needs done. Too dang bad.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Obviously, there are those who abuse the intent of an HOA on both sides. However, the reasons you mentioned are why HOA's exist.

There is absolutely-zero accounting for taste and the consideration of others with some people. I wouldn't want someone doing a trans flush in close proximity to my condo/town home.

Sorry dudes.

Yes, there are city codes for enforcing flagrant violations-but an HOA can enforce them much more quickly than a city can.

No one can rationalize why they SHOULDN'T EXIST-until we have a perfect world. And then-who's definition do we use?

I respectfully disagree. It makes no sense to find an ATF flush repulsive... With your way of thinking, mowing, home repair etc. should also not be allowed.

Yep-I want a car up on jacks-motor running hopefully the transmission fluid finds it way in to the disposal container-not in to the street.

I change my own oil on occasion. And there has been a time or two where the oil that squirts out the side of a 5.3 motor on a Silverado at what seems like 20 mph hits the passenger side tire if one's not careful.

Doesn't belong in a drive way literally less than 10 feet from mine.

BTW-your making too much of a stretch on the other stuff you mentioned.

Sorry. Don't ever buy any where that has an HOA.

Last edited:
I change my own oil on occasion. And there has been a time or two where the oil that squirts out the side of a 5.3 motor on a Silverado at what seems like 20 mph hits the passenger side tire if one's not careful.

Logically explain how an oil change is different. What if your neighbor didn't like this? "Close proximity" went to 10 feet in a hurry too.. Why would someone else be in your driveway working on their car? I certainly wouldn't like this and I am the one defending DIY repairs at home. Sounds to me like you don't care for irresponsible people.

If I need to buy a home with a HOA so be it, but I'd really shop around. I know places that allow DIY and yard work. The max grass level as well as a clean yard is a nice feature. A car on jack stands for a Saturday afternoon isn't distasteful like 12 inches of grass and garbage 24/7.

I don't live in a HOA and never would.

I understand the concept of HOA's but lots of corruption and misspent monthly dues by the crooks in charge of the cookie jar.

No thanks.

Wow. Unreasonable people on all sides. They should have all handled that differently.

No HOA in my neighborhood. Then again, people tend to maintain their houses around me.

I'm not a big HOA hater, but throwing away liberties and rights to make sure your neighborhood stays "good" is rather silly.

HOA doesn't really make a difference anyway. If a neighborhood is going to dive, it's going to dive.

I can list twenty big ones off of the top of my head that went from football players and CEO to thumping music and people practically living on their porch.

Where I live, we have no HOA, and none of the problems mentioned so far.

But because we have no HOA, people actually look after their city and community, instead of just hiding behind a gate.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Tell me again why anyone would want to live anywhere with an HOA?

Maybe so your next door neighbor can't have a car up on blocks in his front yard or raise roosters or have relatives park an RV in front of his house and live in it for months? If you're the guy who wants to do that stuff then it's not for you.

+1. Silly to make such a fuss over a mail box, especially knowing that before he moved in the neighbor hood. His next door neighbor may now want to test the water and park his 30 ft camper in his drive way. I have weld repair several aluminum mail boxes in developments where all the boxes have to be the same. $350 box and I repair them for 60-80.

I blame the fall of the Berlin Wall; were it not for that most HOA officers would be working for the East German Secret Police.

I live in a town house, and therefore I'm under an HOAs jurisdiction.

Fortunately, most everyone in my community is a young professional and no one really has time to get caught up in petty stuff. The HOA gets the dues, and although they are over $100 a month all the exterior maintenance is taken care of. The grass gets mowed regularly, the common areas get cleaned up and planted, snow gets removed very quickly(I don't know how many times I've seen a management truck out shoveling and spreading salt at 4:00 in the morning so things would be good to go for everyone to get to work), and the exterior all gets pressure washed a couple of times a year. The big stuff like roofing is taken care of also.

Overall, they're responsive to stuff coming up, but there again most folks care too much about their own lives to get caught up in some of the pettiness you hear about.

BTW, our parking area is a communal car port like set up. I make it a rule to not leave a car on stands overnight if I can avoid it. The only thing anyone ever says about me working on my car is when they ask me(out of genuine interest) what I'm doing or if I need any help.

At the same time, my parents live in a nice 30 year old neighborhood. Just to give some idea, most of the houses are in the 2500-3000 square foot range and are two stories. There is no HOA, but it has never been a problem. People keep everything nice, tidy, and presentable. I don't see piles of junk sitting around or non-running cars, and the only tarps I ever see on roofs are when someone is in the middle of getting a new one. If someones' grass is tall, you're more likely to have a person check on your well being and ask if you need a hand. The only time I've seen grass get anywhere close to being unkempt has been someone was out of town for a week and a half in the spring when the grass grows fast enough to really need to be mowed twice a week.

Overall, people just look out for each other and everything works out fine even with no HOA.

I wish my HOA were more strict, we have a pretty lame annual meeting. My neighbor's palm tree is an eyesore, everyone agrees but no one will do anything about it!

Quote:

+1. Silly to make such a fuss over a mail box, especially knowing that before he moved in the neighbor hood.

Please read the article. When he moved in they were mandating a cedar box costing $30. Then a few years later it changed to a steel reinforced mailbox costing $500.

The guy said, "I never agreed to waste $500 on a mailbox," and the judge agreed.

I just can't understand the cookie cutter way of life. I guess people are just supposed to be a bunch of machines fresh off the assembly line.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I just can't understand the cookie cutter way of life. I guess people are just supposed to be a bunch of machines fresh off the assembly line.

Precisely why we fled the city life two decades ago.

I can have any mailbox I want!

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
Quote:

+1. Silly to make such a fuss over a mail box, especially knowing that before he moved in the neighbor hood.

Please read the article. When he moved in they were mandating a cedar box costing $30. Then a few years later it changed to a steel reinforced mailbox costing $500.

The guy said, "I never agreed to waste $500 on a mailbox," and the judge agreed.

Oh! OK. That makes it well worth spending $33K for legal fees over a mail box.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Sorry dudes.

Yep-I want a car up on jacks-motor running hopefully the transmission fluid finds it way in to the disposal container-not in to the street.

Doesn't belong in a drive way literally less than 10 feet from mine.

BTW-your making too much of a stretch on the other stuff you mentioned.

Sorry. Don't ever buy any where that has an HOA.

You must be the dude that peers through lace curtains at all hours, then runs to the phone to tattletale. Lemme guess: as a child, your favorite words were, "I'M TELLING!"

No need to get 7th grade with people who see things differently is there?

Live and let live is great until what I do on my property affects you on your property. If people were considerate there would be no need for HOAs or county ordinances.

Originally Posted By: tig1

He spent NOTHING on legal fees, because he won and the HOA had to pay him back. In virtually all court cases the loser has to pay damages AND legal fees for both sides.

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
Originally Posted By: tig1

He spent NOTHING on legal fees, because he won and the HOA had to pay him back. In virtually all court cases the loser has to pay damages AND legal fees for both sides.

Depends on a lot of terms. It's up to a judge to decide if all legal fees are to be paid by the losing party. I'm a landlord myself, and my rental agreements specifically state that should either side sue, neither party is entitled to reimbursement for legal fees.

I suffered with a yellow school bus in front of home by neighbor due to no HOA. Finally an anonymous video of him struggling to walk sent to employer asking for it not to be parked seem to have it disappear. He was hiding health problems by parking at home.

Remember that crazy thread of nut job vs a nut job poster here leaving lights on. Maybe HOA could have helped....

Originally Posted By: madRiver

I suffered with a yellow school bus in front of home by neighbor due to no HOA. Finally an anonymous video of him struggling to walk sent to employer asking for it not to be parked seem to have it disappear. He was hiding health problems by parking at home.

Remember that crazy thread of nut job vs a nut job poster here leaving lights on. Maybe HOA could have helped....

That was the one with the tree monkeys too wasn't it? Man I miss threads like those. There hasn't been any good soap opera threads here lately,which is one of my favorite things about the General Forum here
laugh.gif
Those kind've threads always gave me my soap opera fix haha :p I would love to know whatever became of all that. Is the op still around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back