MB CLK500 Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have been religiously using MB1 0W-40 in my 04 CLK500, since I have acquired it. I still have about 1 more oil change stash( bought in MB1 rebate deal).

Recently picked up 5W30 PP in AZ deal, thanks to 'THIS' great forum and helpful people
thumbsup2.gif
:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4297146/PP_5W30_Euro_version?

Can I use this one in my MB too? Looking at this http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_en.html

Seems like an approved oil? But I thought to better check.

Thanks for all the help.

I would stick with a 0W40 like Edge or M1. Even if outside warranty, those two oils carry MB approvals, are top notch oils and are cheap at Walmart.

This was mentioned in a few other threads. Is the one you have MB 229.51 or MB 229.5? 229.5 is for gas engines and 229.51 is for both gas and diesel. But if you have a choice, just use 229.5. Or your original plan of changing it at 5k instead of 10k or 13k might be ok.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Seems like an approved oil? But I thought to better check.

Technically, it's not an approved oil because you need an oil meeting MB 229.5 spec and this oil does not.

With that said, if you don't run very long OCIs, you will likely be fine, since it's a low SAPS oil.

In the future, check approvals first, then buy.
smile.gif

The PP you bought will be fine, but I would shorten the interval.

I personally would have stayed the course and continued using Mobil 1 0W-40. Next time buy an oil that is approved for your vehicle.

Thanks everyone, since I still have MB1 and I'll stick to 0W-40 and will use this Euro in my Civic.

On the same note, during this AZ clearnace, I picked up Castrol Edge Syntec 0W20 and Penzzoil Platium 5W30, can any of that be used too ? If not, I'll use all of these in my 2 Civics
smile.gif

BTW, I use fleece filter and use this MB1 0W-40 for 1-1.5 year with less than 5K-6K miles on it. It does short, as well as long highway trips. Mostly highway though.

Should I drain after 1 year, no matter what or go with mileage? Thank you all
smile.gif

On the same note, during this AZ clearnace, I picked up Castrol Edge Syntec 0W20 and Penzzoil Platium 5W30, can any of that be used too ?

No.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
On the same note, during this AZ clearnace, I picked up Castrol Edge Syntec 0W20 and Penzzoil Platium 5W30, can any of that be used too ?

No.

As always, thank you. Noted. Will stick to MB1
thumbsup2.gif

BTW, I use fleece filter and use this MB1 0W-40 for 1-1.5 year with less than 5K-6K miles on it. It does short, as well as long highway trips. Mostly highway though.

smile.gif

You might be OK either way.

My 530i sees similarly low miles, but mainly short trips, and our winters are harsher. I just change it once a year because it's easier for me to track it that way. I did go two winters on one oil once and did not like the UOA results.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

smile.gif

You might be OK either way.

My 530i sees similarly low miles, but mainly short trips, and our winters are harsher. I just change it once a year because it's easier for me to track it that way. I did go two winters on one oil once and did not like the UOA results.

Thanks very much, definitely your winters are way harsh than here. BTW, when you say 2 winters, how many miles and have a link for the UOA, please?

I'll possibly just change it once a year in summer/fall time frame. Easier to work on the car.

Thanks everyone, since I still have MB1 and I'll stick to 0W-40 and will use this Euro in my Civic.

On the same note, during this AZ clearnace, I picked up Castrol Edge Syntec 0W20 and Penzzoil Platium 5W30, can any of that be used too ? If not, I'll use all of these in my 2 Civics
smile.gif

Just look on the back of the bottle. If you see MB 229.5, it's ok to use, I believe those others that you mentioned don't have that. I got some PP 5w40 last year on clearance and that had the MB 229.5 spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back