Magnetic Drain plug for trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new trans pans have drain plugs.
On the Explorer I reinstalled the bar magnet. It was coated with a black residue that looked like laser printer toner. About 30K miles since it was last touched, it wasn't really thick but it was there. It was slightly coating the old pan too. There was no real metal to speak about (unless those particles are metallic).

I have new pans for my other cars, replacing due to corrosion, I'm wondering if I should get magnetic bolts ( I think they are 14 X1.5)?

AND

should I leave the old magnet in the pan. I'm thinking if the original magnet isn't there and you have a plug magnet there is no need to drop the pan?

Honestly I don't mind so much dropping the pan if the fluid is out, but it may be unnecessary work. The 20 bucks for that pan is more than worth it to me not to get a fluid shower(don't like the idea of running the cooler close to dry on an old transmission), and considering places now want almost 300$ for a total trans service its a no-brainier. (some dealers close to the 400 mark!, A stupid flush is 225, and 150 for the pan).

I know some cars come with oil pan plug magnets for the engine (or you can add it).

Last edited:
I'd say the more magnets the better. Can't see any reason it'd be a problem. The more metallic gunk that can be pulled out and not circulate or clog up the filter sounds like a win!

As infrequent as trans fluid is changed I would just take the extra time and pull the pan to clean the internal magnet as well...but I'm OCD.

Others will probably say leave it go.

And do you mean magnet bolts to attach the new pans? That seems wholly necessary and don't see what the benefit would be.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Olas
Magnets can catch stuff but that's what the filter is for...

Very true but it might not catch the smaller stuff and I'd rather the bigger stuff not make it to the filter.

I guess it'd be different if I could change the filter. The '10 Taurus I just offloaded had a permanent filter that was unchangeable unless you split open the tran case and that drove me INSANE.

I haven't been underneath this new Elantra. I'm assuming it's a "lifetime" filter as well. Lifetime and filter shouldn't even be allowed to be used in the same sentence.

Originally Posted By: Throt

And do you mean magnet bolts to attach the new pans? That seems wholly necessary and don't see what the benefit would be.

Nope, meant drain plug bolt. Have 3 pans..it may have come across that way.

Originally Posted By: Throt

Very true but it might not catch the smaller stuff and I'd rather the bigger stuff not make it to the filter.

I guess it'd be different if I could change the filter. The '10 Taurus I just offloaded had a permanent filter that was unchangeable unless you split open the tran case and that drove me INSANE.

I haven't been underneath this new Elantra. I'm assuming it's a "lifetime" filter as well. Lifetime and filter shouldn't even be allowed to be used in the same sentence.

The filter is also up for debate. I surveyed a few dealers. Some said it is lifetime on any transmission, just flush. Others said do a pan drop and filter, no flush. Others said do both.

The service manual for the AX4N for example only specifies a flush type fluid exchange, no filter service interval.

If you are looking to keep cars past 150K I think they need all the help they can get.

Last edited:

'Parts left out cost nothing and cause no service problems.' -Charles Franklin Kettering

Telling that all my automatic transmissions have filters. And magnets.
There's invariably some debris on their magnets during service.

6L80Epanmagnet.jpg

my 6L80E

A friend had occasion to smash a very strong neodymium magnet. It was quite large and he needed only a bit of it to make a fuel flap retainer.

I'm taking bits of the shattered magnet and placing some on the end of my transmission and oil drain plugs.

When I do fluid drains I'll give it a wipe with cloth the best I can but I don't expect the magnet to give up anything but the finest of metal fluff.

That's OK as the metallic dregs will stay put. Kira

Can't hurt, anything that has the potential to keep the ferrous metals out of circulation and off of the solenoids is a good thing.But then so are "frequent" oil changes

No - not true at all.

Transmission filters are typically 100 micron AT BEST - often larger.

A magnet is entirely needed - - it'll catch the ferrous metal filings.

This is really all that is need to be removed from the fluid to keep an auto trans alive. Little pieces of clutch material and microscopic aluminum flakes that make it through the filter typically will not adversely affect transmission life.

HEAT and burned fluid are by *FAR* the biggest killers of transmissions. Anything adds life, yes - but not nearly to the degree you think it does.

Not all are filtered, especially Honda. The drain bolt has a pretty big magnet though. There might be a screen, but I think it would need to be pulled out to change or clean that.

I guess some use spin on filters. Subaru specs their as a lifetime part, but it's easy enough to replace if needed. Some of the aftermarket filter companies spec an engine oil filter to replace the spin-on transmission filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back