Oil for Lexus LX570

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys
which brand and type of oil you recommend for Lexus Lx570
engine : 3UR-FE V8 5.7
weather : Summer (45c-50c) winter (15c-20c)

a friend told me use 0w40 Mobil 1
but in factory cataluge i saw 5w30 for hot weather

thx

That engine is supposed to use 5w-20 or 0w-20 in the U.S., even in Phoenix, Arizona, so a step up in visc to 5w30 would be all you need. M1 5w30 gets my vote.

Last edited:
I thoroughly thrashed Land Cruisers a couple years ago dune bashing in UAE near the Oman border and loved every minute of it.

I wouldn't hesitate to use the 0w40 M1 actually. With your hot temps virtually year round, that would be my choice for the heat.

Have some tikka chicken at Ravi's in Dubai for me.
cool.gif

Toyotas love Mobil 1 and you can't go wrong. I don't think the 0W-40 is all that shear stable and seems to shear to a 30 weight in most of the analyses I have seen. I would try the 10W-30 in a warm climate. However, my old Tundra V8 just seemed to run better on a 5W-30, so that is what I would use if yours is the same.

Originally Posted By: Tones
Toyotas love Mobil 1 and you can't go wrong. I don't think the 0W-40 is all that shear stable and seems to shear to a 30 weight in most of the analyses I have seen. I would try the 10W-30 in a warm climate. However, my old Tundra V8 just seemed to run better on a 5W-30, so that is what I would use if yours is the same.

Of course it reads a 5W-30 on a UOA. It's cst@100 is 12.9 and HTHS is 3.6.

It is a stay-in-grade quality A3/B4 oil... It's just that it is basically a 5W-30 to begin with, and it would be an EXCELLENT choice for his LX.

thanks guys
so what i choose between these

Mobil 1 0w40
Mobil 1 5w30
Mobil 1 5w30 Extended Performance

and is it no problem to use 5w30 at high temperatures ?

thx a lot
smile.gif

I saw this chart on the net. It might help you.---> clublexus.com/forums/attachments/rx-1st-gen-1999-2003/255054d1344481916-engine-oil-grade-lexusoil.jpg

Originally Posted By: carloz
I saw this chart on the net. It might help you.---> clublexus.com/forums/attachments/rx-1st-gen-1999-2003/255054d1344481916-engine-oil-grade-lexusoil.jpg

Those charts are for specific areas like Canada and USA. Don't know if that chart is for USA, Canada, or where ever. But yes Lexus and Toyota have charts like that specific to country.

Originally Posted By: lexuslx

and is it no problem to use 5w30 at high temperatures ?

thx a lot
smile.gif

You can but if it were mine, I'd step up from the 5w30 and run the 0w40 with no issue. As I was flying down the highway into Oman with 115F heat in OCTOBER and the A/C blasting I remember just how much stress that thing was under. I'd want the extra heat protection.

What do you recommend for someone driving fast (high rpm) ?
what about other brands ?

I'd just use the M1 5W-30, that's all you need even if you're driving fast. The 0W-40 would also work, though likely a bit of overkill unless you're extending the OCI.

Originally Posted By: lexuslx
What do you recommend for someone driving fast (high rpm) ?
what about other brands ?

The 40wt for a big suv, high speeds,full time 4wd, and in extreme heat is a good choice. Castrol, Mobil, any of the popular Euro stuff.

If you have a large oil cooler the 30wt is still fine but for traffic in Dubai or Abu Dhabi you aren't getting much flow to it.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Another option would be Chevron Delo XLE 10w30 simi synthetic

It can be a little hard to find truck stop oil in the United Arab Emirates. His choise will likely be more globally available oils (or were when I was there) I didn't run into Maxlife or Trop Arcticat the stores for example.

I don't see the point of using any 0WXX oil in that climate...can you get M1 5W30 ESP at a good price there?
It's thick at high temps for a 5W30 and also has low NOACK as well as a high flashpoint...the starting TBN is pretty low, though, so it's not suited for longer oil change intervals. Also harder to find in the US and tends to be expensive here, but I don't think it's considered expensive in the European market.
Honestly, you would probably be fine with anything up to 20WXX in that part of the world...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back