2013 VW Passat TDI oil alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been surfing this site for over 10yrs but finally joined to as some questions. I have a Passat TDI and looking for alternatives to the special oil they recommend. The last two oil changes I've used Rotella T5 and seems to run fine. I went the first 50k miles by the book, but now I don't feel comfortable running 10,000 miles on 4qts of any oil. So I'm going to now do 5k oil changes with the T5.

Anyone have experience with VW Spec alternatives?

If you have not deleted your DPF you need to run oils that meet all of VW's approval. When you say it runs fine, of course it'll run fine, until it doesn't. Everything broke on my 2.0 TDI and it was bone stock. Luckily I followed the rules and got it lemon lawed before the Dieselgate nightmare.

If you plan on keeping that thing long term, run M1 5w40 TDT.....after you delete the DPF, get a Malone Tune and look into inline low micron fuel filters for if/when the HPFP [censored] the bed and pukes metal shavings throughout your fuel system.

I've always run tcw3 two stroke mixed in my diesel to be sure the HPFP lasts.

Thanks to the stupid VW lawsuit, I'm waiting to do the Malone tune and deletes. VW is sending a $7k check because I chose to keep the car, but the latest news is the vehicle HAS to be modified by the VW dealer BEFORE they will send out settlement payments. So I can't delete it till next year. Right now it's looking like late next summer for the final EPA/CARB approvals, then the waiting line at the dealer. It's an aggrivating situation. I'd planned on doing the tune and deletes after the 60k, but it's all on hold for [censored] I'm going to remove anyway.

I would definitely stick with the VW 507 oils on the stock emissions equipment, even if you are removing the dpf in the future. Clogging it up using the incorrect oil it will put extra stress on the turbo and unless you are going stage 3 right away I would want my stock turbo to be in good condition before adding more power with the tune.

IDparts has great prices on all the VW approved 507 oils. Even though I'm fully deleted I still run the 507 stuff for 2 reasons. Every one of my UOA's have been excellent running 6k-8k OCI's, and their oil change kits make it really convenient to just add one item to the cart and check out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NVRENUFF
I've been surfing this site for over 10yrs but finally joined to as some questions. I have a Passat TDI and looking for alternatives to the special oil they recommend. The last two oil changes I've used Rotella T5 and seems to run fine. I went the first 50k miles by the book, but now I don't feel comfortable running 10,000 miles on 4qts of any oil. So I'm going to now do 5k oil changes with the T5.

Anyone have experience with VW Spec alternatives?

What do you say Rotella T5?
I thought it widely known that turbo VW's and blend oils do not match very well. It will run fin, except your DPF is clogging as we speak, your EGR will take a beating, your PCV system and who knows what turbo is doing to oil.
Alternatives?
I run Mobil1 5W30 ESP in BMW. IMO best Low-SAPS oil you can find on market. NAPA has it sometimes for $5.99 a liter.
Other oils? Total, Pentosin, Pennzoil.
Even when you do delate I would stick to C3 oils but you can run higher SAPS, VW 505.01 spec.

I have easy access to M1 extended performance 5w30, but I didn't think it was for diesels? I've built LS engines for years and won't even use this oil on built motors because it won't protect high lift cams, so myself and other builders use rotella T5 and T6. That's the only reason I went with T5 oil, I know it takes a beating and protects the internals. Not saying it's the best, I have a lot to learn still about oil, which is why I'm here.

The hardware store by my house sells M1 M spec oil, it's MB Diesel oil and supposed to be the only one that passes their requirements for diesel protection and emissions. I've looked on here but can't find much feedback on that oil.

Originally Posted By: NVRENUFF
I have easy access to M1 extended performance 5w30, but I didn't think it was for diesels? I've built LS engines for years and won't even use this oil on built motors because it won't protect high lift cams, so myself and other builders use rotella T5 and T6. That's the only reason I went with T5 oil, I know it takes a beating and protects the internals. Not saying it's the best, I have a lot to learn still about oil, which is why I'm here.

The hardware store by my house sells M1 M spec oil, it's MB Diesel oil and supposed to be the only one that passes their requirements for diesel protection and emissions. I've looked on here but can't find much feedback on that oil.

M1 EP and M1 ESP are two completely different oils!
LS engines and small turbo engines are also two different animals.

Originally Posted By: DerekG
IDparts has great prices on all the VW approved 507 oils. Even though I'm fully deleted I still run the 507 stuff for 2 reasons. Every one of my UOA's have been excellent running 6k-8k OCI's, and their oil change kits make it really convenient to just add one item to the cart and check out.

^^^ This. Just order the kit and go with Total Ineo LL, Pentosin SP3, or LiquiMoly TopTec - whatever is cheapest. Any of these oils are proven for 10k easy. They go longer in Europe without problems. If you can't get over the mental hurdle of 10k, then do it at 8k. But 5k OCI is way too soon. IMO anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back