Longest trip within a day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just been here in US recently and got a 2017 accord 4 cyl recently. I am planing a couple of road trips since I am pretty enjoying driving but I have no idea about the longest daily distance which is tolerable. I'd like to hear your idea and also what vehicle was driven. Thanks!

More about what you can safely handle time wise behind the wheel. As for the car, vary the speeds up during the first 1,000 miles. Highway miles are easy on a car. After 10nhours I start getting tired and will stop for the night.

I do a trip from western MN to Fort Knox KY twice a year and its about 960 miles in a day, Xterra, Chevy HHr, Pontiac Vibe, Ford Van, Ford truck
Any more and my surgeon will have to probably get involved

Last edited:
Welcome! Road trips are a wonderful way to explore the country.

Tolerable driving distances are subjective. When I'm driving alone, 10-11 hours or 750 miles is my limit, in any of my cars. At that point, I just begin feeling tired and plop my head down on a hotel pillow.

Where you're driving also makes a difference. Ten hours on wide & straight southern highways isn't the same as ten hours in the congested NE corridor.

Kinda depends how old you are too. I used to be able to drive 10+ hours straight when I was younger, but now I think I'm only good for 6-8. Depends on the car too, some are comfortable on long drives, others aren't.

Originally Posted By: Cellist
Just been here in US recently and got a 2017 accord 4 cyl recently. I am planing a couple of road trips since I am pretty enjoying driving but I have no idea about the longest daily distance which is tolerable. I'd like to hear your idea and also what vehicle was driven. Thanks!

I would not plan on more than about 500 miles. Although you could push for more on any single day why not plan a stop or two and see more of the country along the journey instead of just the non-stop of trying to get as far as you can?

1100 mi, from here in nw buckeyeland, to DFW. Then a week later do the reverse. Once a year for a couple years.
2005 Dodge neon sxt(no cruise)
2009 Mercury Sable (all the luxuries)
Sable was far more comfortable.

Assuming you're traveling on Interstate highways and avoiding major cities, I've found 700 miles to be pretty easy with the added benefit of time for an actual restaurant meal at the end of the day. 800, 900 and 1,000 mile days are possible but become progressively much more difficult and perhaps more dangerous. Unless you have a backup driver or are young, 1,000 mile days are really pushing it.

I've done these drives in all kinds of cars; your new Honda should be a great choice. Assuming the car is reasonably comfortable and quiet, there are only three situations in my experience where vehicle choice makes a big difference:

1) High-profile vehicles (vans, SUVs) are no fun in high winds, particularly as experienced in the western states. Battling winds makes a long day much longer.

2) Mountain driving in underpowered/heavily loaded vehicles is unpleasant.

3) AWD or not, tread depth makes a huge difference in winter driving conditions.

Enjoy your travels!

I can make 10 or 11 hours, but beyond that I feel like I'm getting really unsafe to drive-I start losing my ability to concentrate and get very uncomfortable.

When I'm traveling by myself, I limit my fluid intake and usually go 3-3.5 hours between stops. There again, if nothing else I need to get out and stretch my legs about that often, plus I'll need to work in a meal or two. I generally take the time to at least go in a fast food restaurant and sit down to eat a meal rather than trying to eat on the road. That's a nice 10-15 minute break behind the wheel that really helps a lot with extending my stamina.

If you're traveling with other people, you'll probably need to stop more frequently. As a real world example, my family takes trips to the Gatlinburg area a couple of times a year. This is about a 3 1/2 hour drive. I can generally make it by myself without stopping. When traveling with a couple of people, we always make at least one stop and usually 2 or 3.

Everyone's tolerance is different. And it depends on the purpose of the trip. Is it sightseeing? Or are you getting to a destination? My wife and I have traveled almost 1000 miles in a day. But it makes for a very long, tiring day. Typically, I find about 700 - 800 miles in a day to be more enjoyable. Even that is all driving time, only taking time out for combined gas and bathroom breaks, and quick meals at fast food joints.

If you are thinking of taking your road trips during the winter, you may want to allow for even less miles each day, just in case road conditions are not favorable. Where are you in Illinois? Since greater than half the population of Illinois is in the Chicago area, I guess it would be a safe guess that you are there?

Plan for your normal work day, or about 8 hours. I have found that is a good time for a day after day trip. Adjust for your planned hotel and research the map for finding it before you go - not much harder than being tired at end of day and lost trying to find your hotel....

My pesonal longest was over 17 hours....not interested in doing THAT again.

Last edited:
The most I've done in a day was about 900 miles, but the last 200 miles or so wasn't enjoyable. It was in an '01 Audi A4. Normally, I prefer not to do more than about 700 miles a day, and I prefer not to drive at night.

Depends on age, amount of traffic, weather,even driving skill, etc. I find 400 miles to be enough or say 7 actual hours moving/driving.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Everyone's tolerance is different. And it depends on the purpose of the trip. Is it sightseeing? Or are you getting to a destination? My wife and I have traveled almost 1000 miles in a day. But it makes for a very long, tiring day. Typically, I find about 700 - 800 miles in a day to be more enjoyable. Even that is all driving time, only taking time out for combined gas and bathroom breaks, and quick meals at fast food joints.

If you are thinking of taking your road trips during the winter, you may want to allow for even less miles each day, just in case road conditions are not favorable. Where are you in Illinois? Since greater than half the population of Illinois is in the Chicago area, I guess it would be a safe guess that you are there?

Appreciate for all of your great inputs! Actually I'm a graduate student at U of I in Urbana, Illinois. My fund is limited and I am thinking of visiting my friends and family as they're scatted around the country. So I am wondering how frequent should I stop halfway although sightseeing can be an extra. The first trip for this Christmas will be to Austin, TX to my sister's. A little bit over a thousand mile. The longest 24 hour trip I've ever experienced was my friend got his new VW caddy van and we drove around the island back in Taiwan to "break-in" his vehicle (about 700 mile wth 40% coast and mountain road). Perhaps 1000 mi on interstate would be more intolerable as it is somehow "tedious" and likely to fall asleep?

I was going to say that our answers might be more helpful if you told us where you are and where you want to go.

I did a trip similar to Urbana-Austin a few times. It took me about 18 hours including a 2-3 hour nap at a rest area. Stopping at a motel about halfway would probably be safer, especially if you are alone and not accustomed to US driving.

Google Maps shows a western and an eastern route. Check the weather before making a decision, but I think the western route, taking I-44 through Missouri, might be less congested and more scenic than the route through Arkansas. You could spend the first night outside Tulsa, Oklahoma. Of course, to really see the country, you could take a different route each way.

Originally Posted By: Cellist
Appreciate for all of your great inputs! Actually I'm a graduate student at U of I in Urbana, Illinois. My fund is limited and I am thinking of visiting my friends and family as they're scatted around the country. So I am wondering how frequent should I stop halfway although sightseeing can be an extra. The first trip for this Christmas will be to Austin, TX to my sister's. A little bit over a thousand mile. The longest 24 hour trip I've ever experienced was my friend got his new VW caddy van and we drove around the island back in Taiwan to "break-in" his vehicle (about 700 mile wth 40% coast and mountain road). Perhaps 1000 mi on interstate would be more intolerable as it is somehow "tedious" and likely to fall asleep?

Interstate driving is pretty non-stressful with the exception of unfamiliar urban areas in unfamiliar places.

With that said, highway hypnosis is a real thing and can be very dangerous. I've been guilty of it especially on familiar roads, but really anywhere. Basically it's where you "zone out" while driving. My best suggestions are to avoid using cruise control, keep the temperature in the car on the cool side, and possibly turn the radio up a bit(but not so loud as to drown out traffic around you).

For Urbana to Austin, I'd suggest probably doing two days and stopping somewhere around Memphis. My experience is that driving in rural Texas can make it very easy to not lose focus, so I'd suggest being well rested.

Last year did a 15hr stint with about 15min worth break time about my limit now at 45 years age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back