centrifuge

Status
Not open for further replies.
After welding; Centrifuge base bolted on, ready for mounting:

Drain line threads onto bottom, leads into oil pan above oil level and below crankshaft baffle.

The pan is level with 4 quarts of water in it and crankshaft baffle placed.

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil

Anyone else running a centrifuge on an automobile? Or am I in uncharted waters?

Here's one (If a Dodge Ram counts as an automobile). Judging by the number of adverts for centrifuges (though some of these are targeted at biociesel/WVO as fuel) there should be others.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/under-$160-oil-centrifuge-diy-save-269313/

His claimed cost of 160 USD is surprisingly low. Would be very difficult to put together here though.

Last edited:
If a 2005 Mercedes Unimog U500 is a car, mine (all the North American ones with EGR) came standard with a centrifuge. My next OCI will be about 27K mi.

Charlie

My SYM Wild Wolf (Honda CB125 clone) comes standard with one too, as did my Kymco Zing (Honda CG125 clone), but they aren't cars either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: m37charlie
If a 2005 Mercedes Unimog U500 is a car, mine (all the North American ones with EGR) came standard with a centrifuge. My next OCI will be about 27K mi.

Charlie

Have you ever done a UOA with a particle count? Any idea how clean that centrifuge keeps your oil? How are you determining 27K OCI?

I'm just curious. Thanks.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: m37charlie

Charlie

Have you ever done a UOA with a particle count? Any idea how clean that centrifuge keeps your oil? How are you determining 27K OCI?

I'm just curious. Thanks.
cheers3.gif

27K mi is the mileage the oil will have on it when I get it back from Europe/trip to Mongolia to home in Alaska. At 17.5Kmi (last OCI) it had 36ppm Fe, 0.7% soot and TBN 12.4. It has a 29L sump for only 6.4L displacement and has used 1L/2500mi since new, so the oil is "freshened" with every 2.5L replenishment every 6250mi.
Charlie

UOA as promised...There are things I'm unhappy about here. The centrifuge was added at 84,980 miles, I rounded it to 85K. My sump capacity is now 6 quarts...The 3 quarts added for top up are actually accounted for as 1 quart top up (which I don't see anything wrong with since I've purposely drawn 3 oil samples from it), 1 quart added to account for additional sump capacity, and 1 quart I accidentally dumped on the garage floor by starting the engine with a connection loose. I cleaned it up immediately after tightening the connection, and it wasn't the price of a quart of oil or the mess on the floor that boiled my potatoes; it was the wasted research of now having a diluted sample to analyse.

The TBN is slightly up, and the particle count is infinitesimally down. Next UOA I'll be looking for the TBN to go up more and the particle counting to go down.

Nevertheless, I'm doing UOA every 4K, so it will work out in time...

UOA as promised...There are things I'm unhappy about here. The centrifuge was added at 84,980 miles, I rounded it to 85K. My sump capacity is now 6 quarts...The 3 quarts added for top up are actually accounted for as 1 quart top up (which I don't see anything wrong with since I've purposely drawn 3 oil samples from it), 1 quart added to account for additional sump capacity, and 1 quart I accidentally dumped on the garage floor by starting the engine with a connection loose. I cleaned it up immediately after tightening the connection, and it wasn't the price of a quart of oil or the mess on the floor that boiled my potatoes; it was the wasted research of now having a diluted sample to analyse.

The TBN is slightly up, and the particle count is infinitesimally down. Next UOA I'll be looking for the TBN to go up more and the particle counting to go down.

Nevertheless, I'm doing UOA every 4K, so it will work out in time...

I still think that's cleaner than new oil:)

ihatetochangeoil,

Thank you for posting the UOA. Pertaining the the Silicon level, would you please update us with the brand of air filter you are using? Also, with the oil you are using, is it known for having a high dose of Calcium, because I usually see cCalcium levels around 1,600 to 2,300 in the VOA / UOA posted on this site. In addition, have you opened up the Centrifuge to see the amount of particles that it has removed from your oil? I'm just asking these questions since your engine is the only one I have ever heard of being upgraded with the two diferent external oil filtration units. I look forward to the next used oil analysis.

xtell

xtell,

I'm running a Pro-Dry S air filter and Amsoil 5W30 full synthetic. I did a VOA and it came back 3862 ppm on calcium, and yes, Amsoil is known to have high calcium in comparison with other oils. I have NOT opened the centrifuge to examine the "cake" collected on the sidewall; it's really only been 3k miles, but I DID weigh it with a gram scale prior to installation. Picture posted below.

What I do not know is anyplace in the continental US that does "filter cake" analysis on a consumer level. I plan to go ~12,000 miles and disassemble the centrifuge to see (and weigh) the inside, I would LOVE to have the filter cake analyzed.

At this point in time, I'm delighted that the Iron ppm went down, but time will tell if that was due to the centrifuge or the diluted sample. Grrrr! I'm also looking for the TBN to rise on the next UOA.

I've been reading a lot about people getting disappointing results from the aftermarket centrifuges. Starting to get the feeling they don't perform as well as the factory offerings.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I've been reading a lot about people getting disappointing results from the aftermarket centrifuges. Starting to get the feeling they don't perform as well as the factory offerings.

Are there any "factory offerings" in the US? I would greatly appreciate if you'd link your sources, I'm certainly interested in reading bad as well as good. Information is good, as long as it is based in something other than "feelings."

http://www.centrifugallubeoilcleaner.com/pdfs/automotive-brochure.pdf

I'll find the link in a bit, but Cummins filtration has some mean disposable units they've been pushing, to great effect.

Problem is, the oil pressure and flow necessary to operate would be at the borderline of the pump output of the Cummins ISB.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I'll find the link in a bit, but Cummins filtration has some mean disposable units they've been pushing, to great effect.

Problem is, the oil pressure and flow necessary to operate would be at the borderline of the pump output of the Cummins ISB.

Is your "bit" before or after Christmas? I find your armchair remarks irrelevant; unless you'd care to predict what my next UOA will look like. I'm past reading anything, I'm running it. If you'd like to read what centrifuges are capable of: http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/29426/purifying-engine-oil

I have the flow and pressure necessary per manufacturer's recommendations. I'm out to prove/disprove by actual trial. Stay tuned for further results.

I had a simple thought, and I wrote it. That's what this forum is for.

If you want to get aggressive, that's also something you are free to do.

Yes, I am very well aware of what centrifuges in general can do, but obviously quality between all of them cannot and will not be the same.

Good day to you, sir. I'm finished with this.

Sorry. Wasn't trying to be aggressive, merely defensive. You made a comment and said you'd post further info "in a bit." Then didn't respond for about 48 hours. I called you out.

Good day and Merry Christmas to you sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back