New Oil Filter, now Lifter Noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Hmm that Pennzoil is looks like a Purolator to me...

And the Carquest looks like a FRAM.

You didn't change the oil too?

Put some PP of the proper grade in it.

The guys at Firestone just put bulk 10W-30 in your car.

Toyota may have backspec'ed this car to 0W-20.

Does this older model Prius usually see 5W-30?
They probably gave you straight 30W oil. Change your oil and never return to that oil change place again.

Formula Shell is a good oil. My Chevy Colorado is very quiet using it, along with the factory recommended, (no ADBV) AC Delco PF61.

Another thing to consider is buying a filter with a silicone ADBV. That's all I run in Chevy Malibu..... never nitrile ADBVs.

Last edited:
Yes glad to hear. What could cause a filter to make lifter noise - dare I say closed louvers? What do the center holes look like on the old filter?

I have the same car, it has mechanical lifters. I would bet Firestone got dirt or a piece of something into the oil fill hole and it plugged a gallery. Then it broke loose. That model Purolator made filter has an excellent adbv, cut a number open to see myself. That wouldn't matter for flow anyway. If the louvers are closed there is still bypass. If the oil pressure is so low the lifters aren't getting oil the main bearings would be under a lot of stress as well I would think. The last time I had an oil change at Firestone, years ago, the dipstick was left on top of the engine. I guess it could be a chance mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back