Budget oil for 99' Mercury Tracer wagom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks. Looking at this Mercury tracer wagon with around 80,xxx miles on it. Cheap too. Was wondering if I pull trigger on it would I be ok using ST 5w30 or MS5K or NAPA Conventional. Opinions, thoughts and concerns

You would be fine with any of the ones that you named or any API approved oil on sale. Nothing about a Mercury Tracer wagon that is choosy.

Saturn and a Focus. Girlfriends using the Jimmy

Never have too many "spare" cars plus being able to fix them without a ton of computers and b.s. Helps LOL! :^)

Actually it's not very rusty at all. Came from North carolina area and older woman owned it and her son gave/sold it to my friend with the GULF gas station and service station

Car51,

I would run any of those oils you mentioned. All of them use a Na add pack and I've had good luck with all 3. This car would also be a good candidate for your TropA that got shipped as 10w30 instead of 5w30 come spring time. Those cars are easy to work on, timing belt could probably use to be serviced considering the age. Those engines are also known for dropping intake valve seats. But if the price is right I say go for it. The intake seat is likely to render it inoperable long before any of those oil choices do! Of those 3 oils mentioned I'd likely use whatever I got the deal on that day, you shouldn't have any trouble with any of them at a 5k OCI.

I returned the Trop Artic 10w30 for refund as we have winters here in PA and I don't think I need 10w30.

Thanks for the info also
smile.gif

VWB, Super Tech, and anything that can be picked up for cheap. These cars don't care and synthetic would be overkill for them.

I don't really understand why this is a question you need to ask? And why there's two pages of responses? Must be a slow day...

Last edited:
Think outside the box. Schaeffer Supreme 9000 Synthetic 5w-30 with a Fram Ultra Filter. Change every 2,000 miles.

Those are all good oils you mentioned... Out of the three you mentioned the MS5K would be my choice because we lean toward Mobil these days but the other two are also very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back