Million mile Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
10 engines?! Honda can do it without the spare nine motors. I guess I can see the frame still going with mild winters and he probably has a garage. Still, its kinda cool.

Guys, this is a 1953 car, why is that surprising? We are talking pre Y-block even here. There's the million mile Ford van, which is still rockin' its original 5.4L Modular. Engine technology has come a long way since the 1950's.

Originally Posted By: grumpyoldman
A million miles, that's awesome. But TEN engines?!

Cast iron piston rings, a road draft tube instead of a pcv valve and an oil-bath air cleaner. Yep, that's probably about right.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Guys, this is a 1953 car, why is that surprising? We are talking pre Y-block even here. There's the million mile Ford van, which is still rockin' its original 5.4L Modular. Engine technology has come a long way since the 1950's.

About what I was thinking... the end of the flathead era. And with a 3 speed stick it'll rev.

239 Ci flathead 105 hp IMO he did well getting a 100k out of a rebuild My first car was a '53 Ford, I was 10 yrs old, it cost me 5 $

IIRC the Y block was a flat head block converted OHV. Kinda sorta like the Ardun Merc of the same era.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Marco620
10 engines?! Honda can do it without the spare nine motors. I guess I can see the frame still going with mild winters and he probably has a garage. Still, its kinda cool.

They couldn't in 1953!

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: Marco620

They couldn't in 1953!

A 1953 Honda would have taken 40 engines, 20 frames, and 100 body parts.

Originally Posted By: andyd
239 Ci flathead 105 hp IMO he did well getting a 100k out of a rebuild My first car was a '53 Ford, I was 10 yrs old, it cost me 5 $

IIRC the Y block was a flat head block converted OHV. Kinda sorta like the Ardun Merc of the same era.

No, the Y-block was not a flathead converted OHV. The block was shaped like a Y, hence the name. it was skirted and had the standard number of main caps like a modern V8. The Flathead only had three:

Flathead:

VS:

Y-Block:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back