Fram Ultra vs. M1 EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Fram Ultra is a wire-backed synthetic media filter. M1 is just a semi-syn non-backed filter. I'd go with the Ultra since the price is similar.

But the Ultra appears to have far less pleats.

Its two different designs. The Ultra has 2 thick layers of synthetic media with a screen for support. The M1 is 1 layer of resin paper. The Ultra relies on its thickness, the M1 relies on surface length ( more pleats, more surface area which also provide support).

You're a synthetic oil user going back decades, but you won't use a synthetic filter.. why tig, why?

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Fram Ultra is a wire-backed synthetic media filter. M1 is just a semi-syn non-backed filter. I'd go with the Ultra since the price is similar.

But the Ultra appears to have far less pleats.

Its two different designs. The Ultra has 2 thick layers of synthetic media with a screen for support. The M1 is 1 layer of resin paper. The Ultra relies on its thickness, the M1 relies on surface length ( more pleats, more surface area which also provide support).

You're a synthetic oil user going back decades, but you won't use a synthetic filter.. why tig, why?

I have used M1 filters in the past, but several years ago I started using MC filters and have discovered that the oil I use is far more important than the filter. Besides MC filters that I use
,and the oil I use have given my engines long life. 200-350K with clean and very good running engines when sold. Oil filters are important, but the different types of filters have little are no real help in the longevity of engines compared to one another. That's what my 55 years of maintaining my own engines have taught me.

For small petrol jobs the oil is indeed more important than the filter, BUT only if you short trip a lot. For big diesels or long distance driving fans, the oil and air filters rule!

My TDI gets short tripped and has to tow a heavy box, so I can't see the difference between a Mann (Made in Germany) oil and air filter and a Renault OEM set of filters. The oil makes a real big difference, as additives matter when a block gets abused.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
15K miles is not a long FCI.

Not many full synthetic filters are rated for longer than that ... so it is long with respect to what else is available.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
15K miles is not a long FCI.

Not many full synthetic filters are rated for longer than that ... so it is long with respect to what else is available.

Per Motoring - in other words unofficially from FRAM - in the right conditions, the Fram Ultra is good for 30k miles.

That's based on 1g of dirt being trapped per 1000 miles.

I use M1 on the wife's Honda minivan. But when I've used them on my Tacoma, where the filter sits upside down, both times the filter has been empty when I've removed it. Makes me wonder if the ADBV is ineffective. I'd hesitate to use them in a similar application. I am currently running RP. Upon removal, they're gushing with oil.

Originally Posted By: bbhero

I do agree with sir 1900 about Mobil one extended performance filters having the louvers not opened well enough at times. The top picture is of a Carquest Premium oil filter which the louvers were opened good. The bottom is of the Mobil one in which the louvers were not opened as they should have been.
I would have PM'ed or emailed motorking on that one-Jay would have been interested in seeing those closed louvers. Probably would fix you up with some free filters too!

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
I use M1 on the wife's Honda minivan. But when I've used them on my Tacoma, where the filter sits upside down, both times the filter has been empty when I've removed it. Makes me wonder if the ADBV is ineffective. I'd hesitate to use them in a similar application. I am currently running RP. Upon removal, they're gushing with oil.
I love the RP filters-the price is what gets me, routinely double what an Ultra costs (or more if you buy the FPS or case off eBay).

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: JerryBob
I love the RP filters-the price is what gets me, routinely double what an Ultra costs (or more if you buy the FPS or case off eBay).

I own 3 vehicles, so if I spend $75 online at pepboys.com, pick them up locally, and avoid shipping, I get them for about $11 each, after their online discount. If it wasn't for being able to game the system, I probably wouldn't spring for them, either.

closed louvers on fram filters seem to be cropping up a lot now. may be best to avoid fram from now on since motorking has stated they wont be going back to holes and will be sticking to louvers.

Originally Posted By: slybunda
closed louvers on fram filters seem to be cropping up a lot now. may be best to avoid fram from now on since motorking has stated they wont be going back to holes and will be sticking to louvers.

You must be confused. Fram Ultra's have holes and Mobil 1's have louvers.

Attempting (foolishly, I know) to sum up what I'm reading: The Fram Ultra is superior to the M1 performance-wise/build-quality-wise and "may" end up being a little cheaper to purchase as well. But if you can't find them, the M1 is not at all a bad filter compared to the current crop of Purolator (ONE, BOSS) filters.

Opinions - well, M1 is well made - they are not adding lead to them so it has to be more steel. What tests show them side by side doing the same job? Would like to see that since I buy both and the principle of the media is different ...

Last edited:
i agree i don't like louvers either at all. This post coming from me will get a certain few to chime in with all kinds of things... And if that is true that Motorking said fram will be using louvers i wont be using the ultra's either if they start showing up with louvers.. I have some PM's from Motorking that says fram will not be going with louvers so i dont know.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i agree i don't like louvers either at all. This post coming from me will get a certain few to chime in with all kinds of things... And if that is true that Motorking said fram will be using louvers i wont be using the ultra's either if they start showing up with louvers.. I have some PM's from Motorking that says fram will not be going with louvers so i dont know.

Hastings' louvers are MUCH better than anyone else's
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back