New Oil Filter, now Lifter Noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over Thanksgiving weekend, I had my 2007 Prius get an oil change at Firestone Service Center in San Clemente, CA.

They used Shell 5w30 oil, and a Pennzoil Filter. This is the first time I have used both in this car.

All the way home (8 hours later) and ever since then, the lifters have been 'rattling' more so than usual. I check the oil every week, just in case it needs a little top off. The rattle continues no matter how much is in there.

So...should I be concerned that it may be the filter? The noise has never been this significant before (as compared to Champ, Wix, and Fram filters before).

GL

The oil and filter are both different, so its hard to say which one is causing the noise. Would think you can run a thinner oil grade? Also its not hard to swap filters. Take 5 mins.

For the cost of a few bucks, I would just change the filter and see what happens.

Let us know what happens. The fact this happens post startup during operation would indicate a flow issue somewhere

Sorry missed that part about filters used in the past.

Shell is made by Sopus. Have you used Sopus products (Pennzoil, Quaker State, etc) in the past?

I would try swapping out the filter if the noise bothers you enough. Pennzoil filters are made by Purolator so that's one variable I would look at first before even considering changing out the oil.

My money's on the filter.

Had a similar issue when I put a Fram TG on my Infiniti. The valvetrain became clackety, especially when accelerating. Swapped it with an OEM filter and no more noise.

Originally Posted By: Greg L
Good idea...I have a Champ filter that I can put on this weekend

To rule out the Pennzoil filter being the culprit completely, you should try a high flow synthetic media filter like the Fram Ultra, NAPA Platinum, or Royal Purple. If you still have lifter tick after that, you'll know for sure it's not the filter.

Does that prius have an oil pressure gauge? if so what does it read at idle, while driving? Any indication of sludge or varnish, on the dipstick for example?

Changing the filter on a gen2 prius is very easy, you could do it in a parking lot in a few minutes.

I would not drive it around clattering.

If the filter fixes it, cut the old one open for us...

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Does that prius have an oil pressure gauge? if so what does it read at idle, while driving? Any indication of sludge or varnish, on the dipstick for example?

Not unless he added one.

Last edited:
Change it all.

No telling what you got in the way of oil. They said Shell. Probably a bulk 10W-30.

And it's a certainty that you got a cheap jobber filter.

Write it off as a lesson learned.

Better to get overcharged at the Toyota dealer for an OEM filter and Toyota 0W-20 than trust Firestone with your vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back