Smith system driver training.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am taking a new job in which I will have a company truck. The hiring manager said I would have to go through driver training before I got my truck. I think they said it was smith systems. Does anyone have any experience with them or something similar?

check mirrors every 5 seconds. Stop behind the line. Back up as little as possible
grin2.gif

All Good Kids Love Milk.

Aim high in steering.
Get the big picture.
Keep your eyes moving.
Leave yourself an out.
Make sure they see you.

Just remember these 5 keys.

Thanks guys. I figured it would be mind numbingly simple. I did notice they all back into their parking spaces. At least they don't have to put cones out.

I took the course in 2012 while working as a temp meter man for Delmarva Power. If you have been driving for a while, you are probably doing most of the safety steps already. The video we were shown was made around 1970 and never updated. It was fun to pick out the ancient cars such as Ford Pinto, Ford Maverick, and AMC Pacer and Matador. The presenter had long hair and a tie wide enough to use as a tablecloth. Highly entertaining :)

Driver Ed in 1971--saw the Smith System movie--later, I met high schoolers from "far away" Massachusetts and Florida who had seen it.

I'm all for any system which promotes safe driving.

The Kira System:
1) Always keep looking around and use your darn mirrors. Keep your windows clean.
2) Pay attention to what you're doing.
3) Develop a sense of momentum and timing and if you don't know what that is DON'T DRIVE.
4) Slow down-don't be stupid.
5) Touch any consumer electronics while driving and I'll break your arm.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Look twelve seconds ahead in traffic.

Which also increases the odds you will hit something within the 0-2 second window that you don't see because you are looking out too far.

Originally Posted By: Oldtom
I took the course in 2012 while working as a temp meter man for Delmarva Power. If you have been driving for a while, you are probably doing most of the safety steps already. The video we were shown was made around 1970 and never updated. It was fun to pick out the ancient cars such as Ford Pinto, Ford Maverick, and AMC Pacer and Matador. The presenter had long hair and a tie wide enough to use as a tablecloth. Highly entertaining :)

Was it the one where the guy was giving a friendly little beep or whatever he called it all the time? It was in 97 when I was 14 that I took drivers ed and that is the anchient video they showed.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

Which also increases the odds you will hit something within the 0-2 second window that you don't see because you are looking out too far.

Ok, then look 0-2 seconds ahead!

Whatever works for you.

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
All Good Kids Love Milk.

Aim high in steering.
Get the big picture.
Keep your eyes moving.
Leave yourself an out.
Make sure they see you.

Just remember these 5 keys.

Aim High is the one that always stuck with me. Also why in a PC I don't like being directly behind a high profile vehicle including SUVs. Can't aim high without backing off significantly. And some times that's not practicable.

Yeah, it takes some patience. We have to go through Smith System Training every 3yrs or so at work. Great program.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

Not true. You keep your focus shifting between the near and far, along with an awareness of all 6 sides of the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Not true. You keep your focus shifting between the near and far, along with an awareness of all 6 sides of the vehicle.

Pop, a post of your from 4 years back:

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Expand your look ahead. Make sure you know what is going on not only a few car lengths ahead of your vehicle, but as far as possible-a mile or more on the highway.

Know what's going on around all 6 sides of your vehicle. Front, rear, left, right, top and bottom. Make sure you are always aware of everything including road conditions (bottom), potential road conditions (top) and traffic (front, rear, left and right).

Stay out of dog packs. If you've ever watched traffic on the highway or interstate you'll see that traffic often bunches up into "dog packs". You're far better off falling back and staying out of the pack rather than being in the middle of it.

Years ago when I was doing IT for a trucking company, everyone in the company went through driver training with Liberty Mutual Insurance. One of the things they taught was a technique that I still use today. While driving, verbalize everything that's going on around you and everything you're seeing. During the training you're constantly picking out potential threats ahead, what's going on behind and around you, when you're scanning your mirrors, your speed checks, everything. It brings it from a background task to the forefront of the thought process, and actively engages you in the process. It makes you much more acutely aware of what's going on, what the potential threats may be, and keeps you more keenly aware of everything.

another post from a defensive drive tips thread, 4 years back:
Originally Posted By: raaizin
I work for a Major trucking company that has thousands of vehicles on the road. We use the Smith System. Try it it works.

Smith System Of Defensive Driving
5 – Keys

1. Aim High in Steering
Look 15 seconds into your future. (Don’t just look at the vehicle in front of you)

2. Get the Big Picture
Look for Hazards. (Other Motorists, Pedestrians, Vehicle doors opening)

3. Keep Your Eyes Moving
Don’t stare. (Use your peripheral vision)(Stop the fixed habit stare)

4. Leave Yourself an Out
Monitor the space cushion around you and your bike.

5. Make sure They See You
Use your signals- (Directionals, 4-Way Flashers, Head Lights, Brake Lights, Horn, Hand Signals) Make Eye Contact.

Defensive Driving Characteristics
The five characteristics of defensive driving are:

Knowledge
Good defensive drivers will have knowledge of the traffic laws and the basics about their motorcycles, such as how the brake system operates and how to read gauges and lights on the dash.

Alertness
Good defensive drivers are alert to what is going on around them. They are well rested and would never take any drugs or alcohol that could affect their concentration before riding a motorcycle.

Anticipation
Defensive drivers anticipate what may or may not happen, and they take action to avoid many problems. They anticipate potential hazards from other motorists, pedestrians, weather and equipment and take steps to minimize the risk.

Judgment
Good defensive drivers do not make risky maneuvers like trying to beat red lights.
They don’t try to pass unless it’s safe and they look for alternatives to any traffic
situation.

Skill
Good defensive drivers have the technical skills to operate the motorcycle safely through traffic without endangering anyone else on the road. They can handle the motorcycle even in hazardous conditions.

Intersections
One of the most dangerous areas in any road is the intersection. Cross traffic, turning vehicles and pedestrians can make getting across an intersection dangerous.
Many intersection accidents occur when drivers fail to use their turn signals or don’t know the right-of-way laws. Aggressive drivers will try to beat the red light and speed dangerously through an intersection.

Using defensive driving techniques can be summarized in the phase:
“Know, Show, Slow, Go”.

Know
Know who has the right-of-way, but never insist on the right-of-way.

Show
Communicate your intentions to other drivers. Use your turn signals, brake lights and motorcycle movement.

Slow
When approaching an intersection, you need to slow down and be
prepared to stop.

Go
Verify that the intersection is free of vehicles and pedestrians, then go safely.

REMEMBER:
The vehicle or pedestrian in the intersection always has the right-of-way, even if the traffic light is green.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back