"Diesel Oil" in high RPM engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know people do it, probably been discussed here....If the viscosity is correct,Is there anything about a Diesel oil that's makes it unsuitable for 8000 rpm? Has anyone have creditable evidence showing it can cause lubrication issues? Thanks

Almost every CJ-4 lube is also SM/SN so no issues using it in a gas powered engine. I have a mixed fleet diesel/gas powered equipment that gets either 10w-30 CJ-4/SN or 15w-40 CJ-4/SN.

I use T6 in my Supercharged watercraft that is always run between 6,000 and 8,000 RPM 90% of the time. I cant see a diesel rating have any effect

Can't see where there'd be any harm.
Lots of folks use HDEOs in bikes and aside from Harleys and Gold Wings and similar large displacement cruisers, most bikes turn pretty high revs.
If a HDEO is okay for a high redline bike, it should be fine for a high redline car engine.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Can't see where there'd be any harm.
Lots of folks use HDEOs in bikes and aside from Harleys and Gold Wings and similar large displacement cruisers, most bikes turn pretty high revs.
If a HDEO is okay for a high redline bike, it should be fine for a high redline car engine.

This is bike engine ,I thought I would ask here instead of the bike forum...So there should be no issues because the oil also lubricates the transmission?... It's not a wet clutch so a JASCO oil isn't necessary...

Folks been running HDEO's in drag motors for years (decades) and it's the go-to oil for some folks. But, it depends on the motor...

What motor are you building?

Not building, it's just my 96 Ducati 900M....Some bike guys claim the sheer created by the transmission gears breaks down oil not specifically designed for this use, like a Jasco rated oil.....

Originally Posted By: Truckedup
Not building, it's just my 96 Ducati 900M....Some bike guys claim the sheer created by the transmission gears breaks down oil not specifically designed for this use, like a Jasco rated oil.....

Rotella T6 is JASO-MA.

The T6 gained the MA2 looking at the new bottles btw. Still as far as shear stability the JASO-MA has nothing to with it. The T3,4,5 in a 15w will give you better shear stability than a 0,5,10w. My gearbox chews the T6 in about 1.5 to 2 k miles to where shifting is obnoxious.
Look back to extensive posts on this topic from sunruh, he covered it the best of anyone I ever seen.

Only issue is catalyst poisoning in modern emission systems. If they are dual rated it's generally sm for is reason. Newer SN oils have non-metallic organic anti wear compounds not visible in uoas afaik

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
The T6 gained the MA2 looking at the new bottles btw. Still as far as shear stability the JASO-MA has nothing to with it. The T3,4,5 in a 15w will give you better shear stability than a 0,5,10w. My gearbox chews the T6 in about 1.5 to 2 k miles to where shifting is obnoxious.
Look back to extensive posts on this topic from sunruh, he covered it the best of anyone I ever seen.

Ducati recommends a T4 oil... I will check the posts from Sunruh, thanks

Uh, that's 4-T and it's a different rating than the Shell Rotella naming convention.

Is the Duke shared sump, or separate tranny? It's the tranny that eats oil as in shearing. If it separate sump for engine, Rotella T6 is fine for engine. If it's shared and you want to go longer on oil changes, the syn-blend Rotella's are better
smile.gif

I use Shell Rotella in my Chevy Equinox for a cleaning run and my engine has never been quieter. My oil consumption has also stopped. Also have had some cold morning and zero start up issues. Long story short is it is fine to use. I probably wont use it full time just because I have a higher mileage cat and don't want and oil burning to possibly ruin it.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Uh, that's 4-T and it's a different rating than the Shell Rotella naming convention.

Is the Duke shared sump, or separate tranny? It's the tranny that eats oil as in shearing. If it separate sump for engine, Rotella T6 is fine for engine. If it's shared and you want to go longer on oil changes, the syn-blend Rotella's are better
smile.gif

Yes that 4-T is 4-cycle oil, just means "don't put 2-stroke oil in it".

Imagine if Ducati would recommend Rotella?

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

smile.gif

Engine and tranny share oil like Japanese bikes but the Ducati has a dry clutch...Oil change intervals aren't a problem...I race bikes and have found that say things that they believe are true but actually have no proof to present...

has anyone considered mixing T3 15w40 with T6 5w40?

to maybe gain some benefits of both and thus making it more shear stable with the added effects of synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back